Nerve Damage

Why is there burning sensation in the tongue of a HIV patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know what happens biologically in the body, causing a burning sensation in the tongue when a person has HIV.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek H Nanda

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you very well knew, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) virus lives in a body for a very long time. It causes significant damage to the central and peripheral nervous systems. The virus affects our nervous system and causes dysfunction of nerves and muscle cells. ...  Read Full »

How long does numbness last after tooth extraction?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of ...  Read Full »

Lyrica is not helping to manage chronic nerve damage. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe chronic nerve damage pain in my right elbow and arm. I am having issues with nerve damage, Lyrica has stopped working, I take 150 mg in morning and 300 mg at night. Still not helping. I feel like I am getting worse. Struggling to hold things, pain in right arm and elbow,...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P.bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from severe chronic neuralgic pain in the right upper limb. You are taking an optimal dose of Lyrica but as per you, it is not working now. I will request you to share your previous investigations or laboratory and neuroelectromyographic reports to ...  Read Full »

Why am I feeling spasms on face with jaw pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I was feeling spasms on my face especially the cheek and the muscles surrounding the lips. My jaws were paining. I was unable to chew food either. I have always had this habit of grinding teeth. I think I should stop that now. Even now that feeling is there but it is not as profound a...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Facial spasm most common cause is facial nerve irritation or nerve injury. Second can be due to tetany due to hypocalcemia. The third can be due to temporomandibular joint pain. So, we need to rule out all these causes. Kindly tell us about any recent infection that ...  Read Full »

Is lower back pain after C-section normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old woman. I had a C-section before 8 years. Occasionally since then, I am having light to medium pain in the lower back. In the last few months, the pain has increased and is regular now. Especially, in the lower back on the both sides of center bone. I can localize the p...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be having sciatic root pains from the lumbar region (back), which is giving you back pain and the pain is radiating towards the leg. You need to do MRI lumbosacral region. You also need to do work up for arthritis, which includes ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation...  Read Full »

Can tooth infection cause tingling and numbness of lip and chin?

Query: Hello doctor, The last molar on my left side broke around two years ago. It slightly niggled and chipped further during that time, reminding me that it needed to be fixed, but never actually posed a problem. I finally went to the dentist last year and an X-ray was taken. A decay was present at the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibly there been some compression or inflammation of the inferior alveolar nerve, which passes through the mandible and then emerges as the mental nerve. The mental nerve supplies the part below the lower lip and chin. If you have pain, severe tingling, pins and n...  Read Full »

Can radiation from phone result in nerve problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a tingling, warm and very uncomfortable sensation in my finger when I touch my phone. What could it be? I am very afraid it is due to the radiation from the phone.  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are exposed to variable amounts of radiation from our cell phones. However, it is not strong enough to cause tingling and numbness or nerve damage. The only way to know if your phone is causing it is to abandon using it for a day or two and check if the symptoms s...  Read Full »

Can blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids cause any nerve related symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the details given. The glucose levels mentioned are normal. Only 106 mg shows a pre-diabetic fasting level. These levels are unlikely to affect the nerve function. From your information, I get a feeling that you do not have diabetes. Is that right? In tha...  Read Full »

Can exercise improve muscles that are affected by nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 65 years old, male, otherwise in good health but BMI around 31. I have a damaged spinal cord at C4 (due to disk herniation) and had anterior discectomy with fusion in 14 years back. I have had left sided peripheral neuropathy since my surgery (15 years). All sensory, no motor iss...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and reviewed your uploaded test reports and would explain that physical activity is important to maintain a normal muscle force and avoid muscle stiffness due to a damaged spinal cord. Regarding neuropathy, maybe it cannot help improve ...  Read Full »

Could you tell the recovery time for GB syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 5 years old. He has been suffering from GB syndrome since a month. Now, he is admitted in ITU under ventilation. IVIG has already been given. Also, the second dose of IVIG is also started. Could you please tell me the recovery time of this diseases?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question is very genuine. The family members of every GBS (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) patient do ask us this question. The issue here is realistically, and unfortunately, we do not have a definite answer. The range of improvement time frame is from a few weeks to mont...  Read Full »