Q. The big wound in my anal fissure is curing, while the small wounds do not. Please suggest.

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have anal fissures for the past seven weeks, the big wound is curing, but the small wound remains uncured. I have a previous history of these same issues ten years back. I am currently taking Fidonal ointment and antibiotics, which cured only 80% of my wound.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

An anal fissure is a wound in the anal canal caused by various reasons such as overactive anal sphincter pressure, passing hard stools, straining at defecation, and rarely also in Crohn's disease. I hope the doctor has evaluated you for the same. Usually, anal fissures take at least two months to heal. It may assume longer if you continue to pass hard stools.

I need to know a few more details.

1. Are you taking stool softeners or laxatives?

2. Is there any history of recurrent abdominal pain?

3. Is there any fever?

4. Are you doing a Sitz bath?

If the answers are no to all of the above, then follow these,

  • Continue Fidonal (Lidocaine and Nifedipine) ointment thrice daily.
  • Sitz bath (immersing anus in a tub with lukewarm water with salt twice daily).
  • Use Lactifibre (Lactitol Monohydrate and Ispaghula husk)two scoops in one glass of water at night daily.
  • Drink at least 2.5 liters of water daily.

If the answer to questions 2, 3 is yes, then consult a gastroenterologist in person.


Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have any symptoms except pain, stool softeners, and laxatives were not working, so I was trying enema if possible; I need a proper antibiotic to cure anal fissure. Big wounds are curing, but small portions are remaining.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Stool softeners and laxatives are required for healing. You have to use them regularly for the wound to heal. You have to continue using it even after the wound heals so that it does not recur. It will heal on its own. It is a non-sterile area, and local antibiotics will not work. You can try a Sitz bath. If pain is unbearable or is not healing even after two months, surgery is a better option. This can achieve a complete cure.


Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can anal fissure be treated?

Query: Hello doctor,Six months ago, I faced anal fissure problem, which resolved through diet and medicine. One month ago due to constipation, bleeding started during the passing of stool. Now one inner hemorrhoid has protruded about 0.3 inches in size in the anal area. This creates pain for six hours afte...  Read Full »

How reliable are HIV combi Elecsys results?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease before years and I have been on Humira 40 mg every two weeks. I had unprotected sex with two different girls a year ago. I have had done three HIV tests and one HIV combi Elecsys at 10 months from the last possible ex...  Read Full »

My motion is hard and there is an ulcer inside my anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old, boy, my height is 158 cm and weight is 61 kg. I am suffering from motion problem. My motion is not proper. It is getting too hard and timing is not proper I feel, something like ulcer is there inside of my anus. Please help me.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.