Q. What are the reasons for wrist pain?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

Three years ago, my right hand was accidentally ran over. X-ray showed no broken bones, but throughout the year I had extreme pain on the right hand side of my wrist next to the bone. I never know when the pain on the right hand side of my wrist is going to happen or how long the intense pain will last. It does not hurt to bend my wrist down, but I cannot raise my hand up or turn my wrist in anyway. Sometimes, the severe pain has lasted for 24 hours. This happens twice in a month and my right hand is useless to do anything. Even simple stuff is impossible. It keeps me up all night. I felt severe pain yesterday while reaching for my wallet with my right hand set. Please help me to set of this debilitating pain. I am desperate.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through your history.

• There are three probable diagnosis in your case:
  1. Triangular fibrocartilage complex injury (TFCC).
  2. Non-union scaphoid.
  3. De Quervain's disease (painful inflammation of thumb that extends to wrist).
  • TFCC injury is a soft tissue injury and wrist movements of palm up and palm down movements along with side movements are affected. There is decrease in grip strength too.
  • Scaphoid fracture is easily missed on initial evaluation as the fracture line may not be evident in fresh trauma. Secondly, special views or in case of suspicion of such injury after examination, CT scan may be required to detect the fracture.
  • De Quervain's disease is not related to trauma. This could be one of the diagnoses which may have presented itself after trauma and you are unknowingly relating it with your past injury.
  • My recommendation is to visit local orthopedic surgeon for examination and confirmation of the diagnosis.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now