Q. Why am I having sharp pain in left lower abdomen?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
Published on Sep 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am 31 years old female, 5'8", 175 lbs. Three days ago I started getting a really sharp pain in the lower left abdomen. It came on sudden and was gone within seconds but still bad enough to have me doubled over in pain. Thought it was related to period that was due following day. Happened on and off all day.Next day period did start as expected. Normal flow, normal cramps, etc. Then the sharp stabbing pain came back. It is stabbing in a very precise location, down and to the left from the belly button, kind of in-line with the hip. It was radiating hellfire to my low back, groin, thigh, hip, and left flank. I was on the floor in pain for four hours before it faded away enough for me to even stand.

That night it happened again waking me from sleep. Lasted for hours, stabbing in the same spot, burning pain spread to the other areas. Later that day my toddler laid across me and his elbow got that same spot and started the pain up all over again but it only lasted about an hour. The area is very tender. I still get the brief stabbing pain when walking or coughing or bending over.

I am thinking it is a ruptured cyst. I have never been diagnosed with one before but I think it fits the bill. But can they rupture multiple times within days? Is it likely to happen again? Could it be something related to period or just coincidence it started at the same time? What can I do at home for it, since I am unable to go in to see a doctor?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

Preventive Medicine
#

I went through your complain which I must say you have very nicely written down. As per the location of the pain that you mentioned, there are some conditions that need to be ruled out. First is appendicitis. It is followed by vomiting and constipation.

Second is renal calculi or stones. This pain comes from behind while passing urine.

Third, as you mentioned ovarian cyst but the ruptured cyst is a medical emergency and is unlikely. Get an abdomen and renal ultrasound is done to get a proper diagnosis. If you can, then do it after your periods.

Can a CT scan miss appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

How to Prevent Kidney Stones?

Article Overview: This article discusses the ways to prevent the formation of kidney stones. Read Article

A kidney stone is a common condition affecting individuals of all age groups. It is a recurring problem with approximately 50 % individuals experiencing a second episode. Though some people are prone to kidney stones, majority experience it because of their lifestyle.      ...  Read Article