Q. USG shows appendicitis. Do I need surgery?

Published on Jun 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I am a 28 year old female. Whenever I have indigestion and gas formation in my stomach, I feel pain in the right side of my stomach. So, I did a whole abdomen USG. It shows appendicitis. I did blood ESR test also. Attached are the reports. As per my doctor's suggestion, I am having below mentioned medicines for one week. Folcovit (once a day), Tibrolin (thrice a day), Pan D (once a day), Zocef CV 500 (twice a day). So, I want to ask, whether these medicines are sufficient or not? Do I need to have surgery?

Hematology Pathology
#

I had seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and CBC (complete blood count) is not showing any shift to the left or high total count.

You have mild appendicitis infection. For that, medical management will be beneficial.

You have been prescribed antibiotic course and probiotic and antacid. Complete the course of prescribed medicines. Your prescription is correct as per mentioned history and report.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Thank you for the reply. I did a USG and blood test after completing the medicine course previously specified by my doctor. Attached are the reports for the same. Now my doctor has prescribed below-mentioned medicines for the next one week: Pan D, Folcovit, Cifran 500 (twice a day), Ubisure F (twice a day for a month). Could you please let me know your advice regarding this?

Hematology Pathology
#

I have seen your attached report herewith. CBC does not show any abnormality. Total WBC count and differential count are also within the limit and no shift to the left is present.

You have been given Ciprofloxacin antibiotic course this time. If full clinical improvement is not present, take a further antibiotic course. As far as medicines prescribed, antioxidants and vitamins are the other tablets that can be taken.

Let me know whether you have recovered fully. Is there any pain or tenderness in the right lower abdomen because of appendicitis?

Revert with more information to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

There is very little pain besides the naval area, not all the time, only if gas is formed. In the right lower abdomen, slight pain that is very very less frequent.

Hematology Pathology
#

You have improved well clinically. You can take prescribed medication for a week.

To prevent gas formation and to prevent bloating take the following measures:

1. Include more fiber in the diet like whole grain, wheat bran, fruits, green leafy vegetables, etc.
  2. Non-veg food restricted.
  3. Eat slowly.
  4. Avoid excess carbonated drink.
  5. Avoid smoking and alcohol if having the habit.
  6. Drink more water.
  7. Excess stress avoided.

Can a CT scan miss appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about pain and diarrhea post surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My 10 year old daughter had an appendectomy two days back. She was in horrible pain after that. They wished to send her home, but since the pain could not be controlled with Tylenol or Ibuprofen they decided to keep her in hospital. Then the next morning she had bad diarrhea. She went aro...  Read Full »

I have a surgical site infection. Can I travel?

Query: Hello doctor, Two and a half weeks ago, I underwent an exploratory laparotomy that resulted in an appendectomy. Yesterday, I went to see my primary care physician who diagnosed a surgical site infection. I was given Cephalex three times per day for ten days. My question is about traveling with my cu...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now