Q. Can Mifepristone and Misoprostol be taken for abortion after 49 days of pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Feb 08, 2019

My fiancee is 59 days pregnant. So we consulted a doctor for an abortion and she prescribed Mifepristone and Misoprostol for the abortion. But the doctor had told this method should be used before 49 days. So if these tablets are taken on the 59th day, how much effective it would be?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Medical termination is legal until 20 weeks of pregnancy in some countries. But safety profile says, until seven weeks these pills do not cause heavy bleeding and pain, so can be prescribed by a single doctor. For more than seven weeks, often bleeding and pain is more leading to unwanted hospitalization, that is why dilation and curettage under short anesthesia are preferred. In the end, it is the patient's decision, what she wants.

| 

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full »

Can you explain how do I go about taking the abortion pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 weeks pregnant and I need to terminate the pregnancy. I have gone through an ultrasound to confirm that it is an intrauterine pregnancy. I need to know how I can terminate it through abortion pills and what other precautions I need to take. Also, are there any other antibiotics ...  Read Full »

I am pregnant.I do not want to carry my pregnancy.Can I take abortion pills?

Query: Hi, I was supposed to get my period on the 19th of this month. Generally, my period lasts 25 days, but it did not arrive this month. After taking a urine test using a pregnancy detection kit, I received a positive result. So, I think I am pregnant. I have not taken a scan or contacted a doctor. I do...  Read Full »