Q. I am pregnant. I do not want to carry my pregnancy. Can I take abortion pills?

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

• I was supposed to get my period on the 19th of this month. Generally, my period lasts 25 days, but it did not arrive this month.
  • After taking a urine test using a pregnancy detection kit, I received a positive result. So, I think I am pregnant. I have not taken a scan or contacted a doctor. I do not want to carry my pregnancy.
  • Is it necessary to have a scan performed before taking abortion pills or can I take the pills directly? If so, can you please make suggestions as to the pills I should take and how to use them? Also, what is the last date for me to terminate my pregnancy using pills? If there are any side effects, please mention them as well.
#

Hi and welcome to icliniq.com.

Since a urine pregnancy test result was positive, you are pregnant. However, it is very important to confirm the same by scan and to locate the pregnancy to make sure it is in the uterus and not outside, which is called an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancies cannot be aborted by pills and they present a dangerous situation, which requires immediate medical attention.

You can terminate an intra-uterine pregnancy with pills up to 63 days after the first day of your last period. Following that, failure rates are high. The earlier the termination, the less risk of complications.

Pills for termination cannot be prescribed over the phone or online, as it is illegal and dangerous.

• Side effects from the abortion pills themselves can be: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headaches and diarrhea. It is normal during the process of abortion to have cramping, bleeding and the passing of clots and some tissue.
  • It is required that you see a gynaecologist in person, as there can be complications such as: excessive bleeding, uterine rupture, incomplete abortion, need for surgical evacuation, infection, life threatening sepsis and future infertility.
  • This can be a very difficult decision, and counselling would be very helpful for you.

I would also advise you to consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online about receiving counseling on ending your pregnancy --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Take care.

|