Q. I feel constant throat irritation and acid reflux. Please share your thoughts.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

For about five days now, I have this sensation of a pill stuck in the throat right below Adam's apple. There is no pain at all. It is not there in the morning but will show up throughout the day. I can eat and swallow without any problem, and it seems to go away when I eat. It is not quite as bad as the first three days. I did go to urgent care, and the doctor looked at the back of my throat, checked ears, breathing, and checked for swollen nodes and thyroid and said all felt normal. I did explain to him that I have had constant drainage down the back of my throat. There is no runny nose, but stuffy with occasional pain in head and eyes. I said it was probably inflammation in my throat. I notice that the bottom of the throat will get dry and that it is when it is the worst. He gave me Amoxicillin and some liquid allergy medicine to help break up the congestion. I do also have acid reflux. I have been taking 150 mg of Zantac twice a day since then. What are your thoughts on this?

#

• The foreign body sensation in your throat is basically due to acid reflux. It is irritating the throat as acid raises high up to cause stickiness.
  • Along with all the medicines you are taking, I would add few lifestyle measures. Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and at least move around a bit after your meals may be just 5 to 10 minutes.
  • Drink plenty of water and avoid constipation. You can add roughage to diet, avoid spicy and fried foods.
  • I suggest Pantoprazole 40 instead of Zantac (Ranitidine) and an antacid syrup two tablespoons thrice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

I noticed that with Zantac I still had some reflux. Will the above measures help with the constant running of mucus down the back of the throat? I am assuming post-nasal drip. How long should I take these medicines? Should I continue the tablet and liquid for acid from now on?

#

• Post-nasal drip is not due to acid reflux. That is always due to nasal or throat problem only. If possible, please get one x-ray PNS (paranasal sinus) done to rule out any nasal or sinus problem.
  • Zantac contains Ranitidine and it just neutralizes acid formation.
  • I would suggest you take all medicines for around two weeks and follow the lifestyle measures also. Things will definitely improve. Get well soon.

Revert after two weeks to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

|