Q. Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Dental Erosion or Tooth Decay? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur when too much of acid is introduced into the mouth. They start to go translucent means that enamel is lost and your teeth will start to decay. The earliest stage is white spots on the teeth, where cavities or decay would form and when your mouth is exposed to a lot of acids it can eat away your gums and loosen your teeth. So, I think that, from throwing up in my mouth almost 40 times a day, my teeth are getting translucent and I have four white spots on the front teeth. My gums have receded, and my teeth are loose. It is scaring me lately.