Q. Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Mar 15, 2017

Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur when too much of acid is introduced into the mouth. They start to go translucent means that enamel is lost and your teeth will start to decay. The earliest stage is white spots on the teeth, where cavities or decay would form and when your mouth is exposed to a lot of acids it can eat away your gums and loosen your teeth. So, I think that, from throwing up in my mouth almost 40 times a day, my teeth are getting translucent and I have four white spots on the front teeth. My gums have receded, and my teeth are loose. It is scaring me lately.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

The symptoms that you have explained are right.

• If you have acid reflux problem and in your case, it looks like there is too much of acid refluxing in your mouth from the stomach. This acid can erode your teeth making the enamel thin due to loss of minerals.
  • I have commonly seen patients with severe acid reflux to lose their teeth due to the erosive action of acid, as well as damage to the gums.
  • White spots can be the most primary form of tooth decay that can progressively convert into deep caries.
  • My suggestion to you is, first of all, consult a gastroenterologist and get a proper gastrointestinal examination done, and start your treatment for acid reflux, as it can also cause other problems like reflux oesophagitis. Get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy done.
  • Also, consult a dentist and get evaluated and get a full mouth x-ray (panoramic x-ray). It can help in ruling out the damage to the underlying bone supporting the teeth, as you have gum recession also.
  • Proper cleaning and curettage of the teeth and gums followed by filling of the teeth that have started decaying will help in the longevity of your teeth. Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day with ultrasoft toothbrush and gargle after every meal.
  • Avoid spicy and heavy meals. Do regular workout for reducing acid reflux.
  • Please send me a scan of your x-ray, so that I can evaluate and advise you on the treatment as x-ray will give a far clear picture of your teeth, gums and surrounding tissues.

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a permanent discoloration which cannot be removed by normal means like dental scaling. It needs a treatment called lamineering of the front 4 or 6 teeth as required. In...  Read Full

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Bloating could be due to indigestion issues. Zantac (Ranitidine) will help reduce the acidity of the stomach but not immediately. Take antacids after the meal and at bedtime. Plus, take enzyme digest to help ease digestion, together with Simet...  Read Full

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cavities or tooth decay is chronic infections that spread further at a slow rate in most cases. The other thing to consider is any pain or associated symptoms with the cavities, which are indicative of active acute infection that has already spread deeper. So, if the cavi...  Read Full