Q. Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Answered by Dr. Mehak Agarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Throat Irritation or Upper Gi Endoscopy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have come upon make it seem like it may be something worse. I feel a bad taste in the back of my throat; I always feel some food or something that appears to be caught in the middle of the throat. For the past one month, I have had a red tip on my tongue and these red spots near the front of the tongue. It is not a canker and it is painless, but it has not seemed to go away. I had a bit of a throat infection when this started happening. It was not strep throat. It seemed like some infection, sour taste, a lot of phlegm and a break in my cough. I do have some tightness in my mouth and jaw and I have had some soreness in my neck like it feels strained. The issue is my neck, throat, mouth, tongue and esophagus; it all seems to be connected. I do not know if it is anything serious, but it has been worrying me quite a bit.