Please suggest some solutions for the acid reflux condition causing a burning sensation in my esophagus.

Q. Why are endoscopy and ultrasound needed for an acid reflex condition?

Dr. Pandian. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2022

I am a 23 years old female. I have an acid reflux condition which causes a burning sensation in my esophagus. I avoid a lot of food that irritates it. I have tried natural remedies, also had a course on tablet Nexium. Nothing relieved it. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

You have a condition of reflux esophagitis associated with APD (acid peptic disease). Have you undergone an endoscopy and ultrasound of the abdomen? You also need PPI (proton pump inhibitor) drugs and antacid syrup for six weeks and helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) eradication treatment. There should be minimum 90 minutes gap between food and sleeping (or lying flat). Avoid eating spicy foods and beverages. Avoid alcohol, smoking, stress, and tension. Do yoga and meditation.

Thanks for your reply.

No, I have not. How do you suggest that I need an endoscopy and ultrasound?

#

I understand your concern.

As you said, acid reflux occurs when there is a gap between the esophagus and stomach; and when the junction is so loose, endoscopy can decide these things only. When there is any mass, that will be determined by ultrasound of the abdomen. While doing endoscopy, we can do H.pylori biopsy also. If LAX OG junction is there, you may also need manometry of the esophagus. But before that, I suggest you start with tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg two times daily for six weeks and prokinetics like tablet Domstal (Domperidone 10 mg) or tablet Itopride.

|