Q. Why do I have abdomen and left arm pain after eating outside food?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Mar 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I have some pain in the left arm if I have any food from outside like hotel or bakery, sweets or marriage food. It results in vomiting, abdominal pain and my left eye gets blurred. I had taken some antacids previously. Eight years back, I had got endoscopy done, but did not find any ulcers. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

Consumption of any food stuff is not related to left arm pain or discomfort. Contaminated food can cause food poisoning and acidity which can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, but it will not cause left arm pain. Some heart related problem can cause left arm pain and vomiting.

The pain due to heart problem is mostly exertional pain and it radiates to back, left shoulder, jaw and neck. So, in my opinion you should consult a physician as early as possible and get your ECG done. You can take antacid drugs like Pantoprazole and Domperidone combination (tablet Pan-D) for the time being.

You need proper checkup and ECG. Avoid physical exertion, exposure to cold, heavy meals and stress. I advise you to take rest and consult a physician.

Acidity or heart related problem.

ECG.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Acute coronary syndrome.

I have pain in the left hand or area around abdomen and that too it occurs only when I take external food. If everything is hygienic then there will be no issue.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

Hygiene is the main concern with external food that can cause pain in abdomen because of infection. If you consume more oily, fatty, spicy food outside it will cause abdomen pain due to acidity.

Pain in left arm is not related to outside food, that is why I advised you to take ECG test and physician opinion as sometimes left arm pain and pain in upper abdomen indicates heart related problem.

Please explain my father's heart problem from the medical report.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has diabetes for the past 15 years and he is suffering from heart problem for the past four years. Recently he was admitted to the hospital due to severe breathing problem, sudden fainting, loss of appetite and water accumulation in the stomach and legs. After taking treatment ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful review, I can appreciate well the sensitivity of the issues you and your family is suffering from. Your father seems to have left heart failure (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that landed him twice in the hospital. He is having the...  Read Full

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way to check for an ovulation pain or mittelschmerz is to check for LH (luteinizing hormone) surge with an ovulation kit. If the test is positive, then you are likely to ovulate or have ovulated already. The pain can also be due to submucosal fibroid. I sugge...  Read Full

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?

Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but yes Pantoprazole allergy is a permanent condition that you will need to report to any doctor you visit before prescribing medications. Also, this allergy is nothing to worry about as long as you av...  Read Full