Q. I am getting bumps filled with pus on my scalp. What could this be?

Published on Oct 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am 32 years old. I am getting bumps with pus on my scalp. I have already contacted dermatologist but no luck. It has been more than a year I am suffering with this. Please suggest best tablets or shampoo.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

I need to know a few more things about your health issue.

• Is there any aggravating or relieving factor?
  • Is itching present?
  • What work do you do?
  • Did you have response to any medication?

Please do attach pictures and revert back with the answers to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Doctor,

Yes, it is itching and painful. The current medication which I am using is not effective. I am doing night shifts in a call center. Please find the attached images.

#

Thank you for reverting back with clear pictures of your scalp showing the lesion (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are suffering from a disease known as acne necrotica miliaris.

I am presently prescribing you the medication for one month and make sure that you will remain in follow up at least for a few months, as you know it is a very chronic problem.

1. Capsule Doxycycline 100 mg , twice daily for one month (remember capsule not tablets as tablets of it are less effective).
2. Salisia KT shampoo (Salicylic acid and Ketoconazole). Shampoo your hair twice daily and leave it for 15 minutes before washing your hair.
3. Metasone F cream (Mometasone and Fusidic acid) to be applied twice daily on the pustules.
4. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg, once daily half hour before breakfast.

Get back to a dermatologist online for review in 1 month, with photographs.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Please suggest a treatment for dandruff.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dandruff for more than a year. I am a prefinal year student and my gender is female. Please suggest a solution for dandruff. Can I use One shot dandruff killer?  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dandruff is formed due to oily scalp. If you are using oil for hair, please avoid it. Dandruff cannot be cured permanently. It can only be controlled. For now, use Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizral shampoo twice weekly for three weeks and thereafter once it is controlled, us...  Read Full

Suggest ways to fade acne marks apart from laser treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have used Benzoyl peroxide gel for my acne and it has almost cleared. But, the acne left some red marks and blemishes on my cheek. I wanted to fade that redness on my skin. In the past, I used Epiduo gel. Please suggest me a product and guide me to remove that redness without laser ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is redness and some pus filled acne too (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Use cleanser like Cetaphil to wash face. Apply either Retin-A gel (Tretinoin) or Benzoyl peroxide gel in night and Clindamycin gel in the morning. Use sunscreen like Sha...  Read Full