Q. I always get red painful acne before a week of my periods. Is it because of hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar
Published on Oct 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I am 25 years old, and I always have breakouts before a week of my periods. I think it is a hormonal imbalance. I get big, red, and painful acne around my jawline and lower cheek, and I have a high testosterone level. I get these kinds of breakouts almost every month for more than a year now. I am not under any treatment now, but I used topical cream containing Hydroquinone, Tretinoin, and Mometasone. Please help.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Based on your symptoms, the diagnosis is acne vulgaris (grade 2). Do not apply Mometasone cream over the face, as it is a steroid cream. Please get an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis during the second and third days of the menstrual cycle to rule out PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). I would suggest:

1. Clindoxyl gel (Benzoyl peroxide and Clindamycin) at night, very less in amount.
  2. Aziderm 20% (Azelaic acid) cream daily in the morning.

Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Please review it after three weeks.

What is the solution for PMS and painful period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking you on behalf of my friend. Here are the symptoms, which she had around three to seven days before bleeding. All symptoms of PMS along with occasional migraine with glaucoma, nausea, pain in the lower part of spine and cramps. On the first day of bleeding, she is having pain...  Read Full »

Top 10 Questions on Acne

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris or what is commonly known as pimples starts in teens. It leads to the lowering of self-esteem, decreased work capacity and some form of permanent scarring. There is a huge misinformation among parents and patients about the disease, thus leaving them perplexed as to how to deal with it. In this article, I have gathered the top 10 questions on acne to help both parents as well as patients to guide them to make informed choices on the issue. These, however, are general guidelines and patients are advised to consult a qualified dermatologist for treatment. Read Article

Dr. Abdul Samieh Deva

What Is Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit found in the skin. Sebaceous gland is often associated with a hair follicle and is known as a pilosebaceous unit. The most important lesion in acne is a comedone. Besides, papules, pustules, and nodules are also found. In common terms, these ar...  Read Article

What happens to the brain during the menstrual period?

Query: Hello doctor, What would be the fascinating thing that happens to our brain during the period? And how does the brain respond to a woman's menstrual cycle?  Read Full »