Q. I always get red painful acne before a week of my periods. Is it because of hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I am 25 years old, and I always have breakouts before a week of my periods. I think it is a hormonal imbalance. I get big, red, and painful acne around my jawline and lower cheek, and I have a high testosterone level. I get these kinds of breakouts almost every month for more than a year now. I am not under any treatment now, but I used topical cream containing Hydroquinone, Tretinoin, and Mometasone. Please help.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Based on your symptoms, the diagnosis is acne vulgaris (grade 2). Do not apply Mometasone cream over the face, as it is a steroid cream. Please get an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis during the second and third days of the menstrual cycle to rule out PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). I would suggest:

1. Clindoxyl gel (Benzoyl peroxide and Clindamycin) at night, very less in amount.
  2. Aziderm 20% (Azelaic acid) cream daily in the morning.

Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Please review it after three weeks.

|