Q. What is the treatment for pus filled acne?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having acne on my cheeks for the past one month. I have red and pus filled acne. Redness is more in the cheeks area. I used Clindamycin gel and the pimple size reduced. But, pimples did not go away and also spreading nearby. I have used Benzoyl peroxide too, but no improvement. I am using Salicylic acid face wash twice daily. My face is oily. Kindly suggest me some way for removing acne without leaving redness. I have attached pictures for your reference. Thank you.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.

Moderate acne vulgaris.

1. Continue to use Clindamycin gel in the daytime.
2. Continue Salicylic acid face wash twice daily.
3. Apply Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide gel (Minoz-BPO gel) at night-time only. Initially, you may experience a little bit of tingling due to this cream. If so, then apply this cream on alternate nights.
5. During the day, use a non-comedogenic gel based sunscreen for every three to four hours.
6. In addition, you will require oral antibiotics. Start with one tablet Doxycycline 100 mg daily for three weeks. After three weeks we will review your improvement and decide on the further treatment.

1. Avoid hair oil application.
2. Drink plenty of water.

Revert back after three weeks to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

As you said, I am applying Epiduo gel at night and sunscreen at daytime. Pus is there and it can be seen. My question is do I have to pop pimples to remove the pus? If I leave those pimples for few days, then the pus spreads the pimple nearby. Kindly give me a solution for this. My pimples are red and once also leave red marks. Can we remove pimples without leaving red mark? Is Retino-A helpful for red marks? How to control face oiliness? Please guide. I have attached the photos for your reference.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I understand that you have started with the creams, but have not yet started with oral medication.
  • If you do not want to take antibiotics and oily face is your problem then the drug of choice is Isotretinoin. The starting dose is 20 mg per day taken once daily. It is better to take Isotretinoin under the guidance of your local dermatologist.
  • Your doctor may run a few laboratory tests on you before putting you on Isotretinoin. Also you should not have an unprotected intercourse after a period of three months of stopping this medicine as it may lead to severe defect in the fetus.
  • Isotretinoin will lead to dry and sometimes flaky skin of the face, which can be taken care of by applying light moisturizer and lip Vaseline.
  • Secondly, please do not rupture the acne as this will cause permanent scarring on your face.
  • Isotretinoin will take at least two to three months to clear the redness, pus and oiliness of your face effectively.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|