Q. Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Recently I have been prescribed Tretinoin 0.25 cream and Benzaclin gel for my mild acne but ever since I started I have been getting dry and flaky skin around my eyes and mouth and burns on my cheek. Which cream is causing this? And how do I continue using them, if so?

#

I have gone through your case. Actually, it is a very common side effect of Tretinoin cream and sometimes Bezclin (Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide) also cause it.

My opinion is to stop both medicines for a week. If you have severe burning use Hydrocortisone cream only on burning areas for seven days only and then stop it. Also, use Vaseline lotion. First, apply on your hand and then tap your face with very little lotion in order to make your skin soft. If you apply more lotion then it will make your skin oily. After one week when your redness settles down then start with Bezclin gel only and apply only on lesions.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|