Q. Compared to topical application, how do tablets control acne effectively?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 21, 2019

Currently, I am using Epiduo (Adapalene + Benzoyl peroxide) gel for acne treatment. My doctor advised me to not to use any other beauty product. Because of winter my skin is becoming dry now. So, can I use any cold cream along with Epiduo? If yes, which one can I use? It has controlled acne for some extent but still pimples are there in my face. So, please suggest me any other tablet to control acne.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have noted your complaints. In such a situation, the following strategy works efficiently.

1. Wash your face frequently with plain water. This will not only help the early resolution of pimples but also help hydrate the skin.
  2. You might consider using a slightly lesser quantity of the preparation.
  3. You can use Acnemoist as a moisturizer.

It takes several months to control acne even if these are moderate intensity. Therefore, waiting, for now, would be ideal. In general, your current treatment is something which is both ideal and effective while being safe. Have faith and do your best under guidance.

I hope you will notice further improvement in the coming weeks and get good results.

| 

Thanks for your kind reply. Currently, I have stopped taking tablets. Can I take one more round of tablets to control pimples with Acnemoist?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

#

There are two well-known methods to control pimples. One is by the use of oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline or some other antibiotic. The second one which is more rapid in action but needs to be practiced under strict supervision is the use of a class of compounds called retinoids. Both are for oral use.

The locally applied medicines including the one which you are using are to supplement the effects of the previously described oral medication. However, in milder or initial phase cases the local preparations themselves might be the only prescribed medication.

Acnemoist is supposed to be helping dryness that one encounters while on treatment with other medicines given for acne. As a standalone, it is not expected to help acne when given alone. I would be more in favor of antibiotics for the control of acne as the first line of action. I am sure, now you know better as to how Acnemoist is going to help you.

|