Q. Compared to topical application, how do tablets control acne effectively?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Nov 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 21, 2019

Currently, I am using Epiduo (Adapalene + Benzoyl peroxide) gel for acne treatment. My doctor advised me to not to use any other beauty product. Because of winter my skin is becoming dry now. So, can I use any cold cream along with Epiduo? If yes, which one can I use? It has controlled acne for some extent but still pimples are there in my face. So, please suggest me any other tablet to control acne.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have noted your complaints. In such a situation, the following strategy works efficiently.

1. Wash your face frequently with plain water. This will not only help the early resolution of pimples but also help hydrate the skin.
  2. You might consider using a slightly lesser quantity of the preparation.
  3. You can use Acnemoist as a moisturizer.

It takes several months to control acne even if these are moderate intensity. Therefore, waiting, for now, would be ideal. In general, your current treatment is something which is both ideal and effective while being safe. Have faith and do your best under guidance.

I hope you will notice further improvement in the coming weeks and get good results.

Thanks for your kind reply. Currently, I have stopped taking tablets. Can I take one more round of tablets to control pimples with Acnemoist?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

#

There are two well-known methods to control pimples. One is by the use of oral antibiotics like Doxycycline or Minocycline or some other antibiotic. The second one which is more rapid in action but needs to be practiced under strict supervision is the use of a class of compounds called retinoids. Both are for oral use.

The locally applied medicines including the one which you are using are to supplement the effects of the previously described oral medication. However, in milder or initial phase cases the local preparations themselves might be the only prescribed medication.

Acnemoist is supposed to be helping dryness that one encounters while on treatment with other medicines given for acne. As a standalone, it is not expected to help acne when given alone. I would be more in favor of antibiotics for the control of acne as the first line of action. I am sure, now you know better as to how Acnemoist is going to help you.

I found pimples on my private parts. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I found pimples on my private parts yesterday. But, I do not feel any irritation. Please help.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send good quality photographs taken under natural light for further knowledge of your problem.Revert back with photographs to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Which medicine can be used to get rid of chicken-pox scars?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. I had chicken pox before one and a half month. After the chicken box was gone, I had some scars. So I went to a dermatologist to give me a medicine to clear the scars, he gave me new gel E. I had some pimples on my forehead so he advised and wrote for me a face wash...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acne is a very common condition occurring in teenage years due to hormonal changes. There is no need to worry or be embarrassed by it. Chances are that even after treatment you may get another bout of acne. It will reduce with age.  Read Full

Why do I have pimples on the back of my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. A month ago, I noticed few small pimples at the back of my tongue and I thought that they will get alright on their own. But, they have been there for almost a month.  And, I have halitosis too. I often have a sore throat as well, but it is not severe.  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The bumps are enlarged circumvallate papillae, which can be due to a number of causes like oral infections, acid reflux, throat infections, or a post nasal drip. Halitosis or bad breath can occur due to poor oral hygiene, oral and dental infections, post nasal drip, ...  Read Full