Q. Please tell me how to reduce acne and acne scars.

Dr. Deepti Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 03, 2021

Please tell me how to reduce acne and acne scars. I am 23 years old. I have oily skin and get acne every month one week before my periods for a year. My acne is a mild and not severe one. I have tried so much but cannot get over it. I drink lots of water, do not have any digestion issues, and get regular periods. I have tried Acne face wash, Saeed Ghani sandal soap, Acne aid soap, the ordinary niacinamide, the ordinary lactic acid, Oriflame spot-free gel, Acne scar gel, neem, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, Persil gel, Contractubex gel. I recently visited a dermatologist who prescribed me Oratane and Zinacef for treatment purposes. However, Oratane has several side effects, which a few of my friends have suffered through due to it, and it is usually not recommended for mild acne. I am currently using Contimycin tablets, Dalacin T lotion, and Fusiderm ointment, which was prescribed to me by another dermatologist. Please suggest a better plan on how to target my acne as it is leaving my skin with quite a few dark spots and scars. Thanks.

#

I understand acne can be bothersome and sometimes challenging to get rid of. I would love to provide satisfactory treatment. My first advice is to stop using neem, aloe vera, cider vinegar, etc., as first, we need to control your acne. Applying these creams and gel may sometimes have adverse effects depending on skin type. Now coming to your current treatment, since when are you taking Contimycin tablets? Contimycin is Doxycycline, which we give to control the initial painful inflammatory pimples. You should not take it for a long time. Now about your concern on Oratane, it is Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is good medicine for acne, depending on the type of pimples you have. As you mentioned, you get more acne before your period because of the hormonal changes. Now I would like to start you on a different treatment to cover your acne, black spots, and scars that will provide you long-term and persistent results if you may allow. Thank you.

Acne vulgaris

Do not scratch your acne, and avoid milk and chocolates.

|