Q. Would you recommend birth control pills for my acne?

Answered by
Dr. Saira Mohsin
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old female. As a teenager, I got acne on my face and back. In my 20's it mostly went away. I would get a pimple here and there on my face, but nothing too bad. My back cleared up completely. Now in my 30's, the acne has started to come back worse. I get breakouts on my face, chest, and back. I have tried courses of antibiotics like Minocycline and Doxycycline, but they never cleared up entirely. My doctor checked my hormone levels, but there was nothing abnormal. He also got me checked for PCOS, but there was nothing abnormal there either. Would you recommend trying birth control or should I go straight for Accutane?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Please attach some good quality pictures of the affected area.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you doctor,

My face is not too bad at the moment, but I added some pictures of the areas where I have the breakouts. I also included a picture of my back.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • I have seen the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest the following:
  1. Take Azithromycin 250 mg once daily for a month.
  2. Apply Clindamycin 1 % solution twice daily for a month.
  3. Apply Isotretinoin gel on the face at night for a month.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you doctor,

I have tried antibiotics previously and they have not fully cleared me up. Would you recommend birth control or Accutane to permanently get rid of it?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • No, I would not recommend birth control pills or Accutane (Isotretinoin) capsules. They are meant for severe and resistant acne. Yours is mild.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

.. have started on antibiotics, I suggest you take it for three days. For your asthma problem, you need to assess the level of airway diseases that can be done by pulmonary function test with reversibility. According to that, we have to adjust the ...   Read full

Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

Actually, it is a very common side effect of Tretinoin cream and sometimes Bezclin (Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide) also cause it ...   Read full

What can I take for bacterial infection in my gums?

.. can be due to a number of reasons like tooth infection or cavity, abscess, etc. If Clindamycin is not working, I suggest taking Amoxicillin 500 mg twice daily for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.