Q. Would you recommend birth control pills for my acne?

Dr. Saira Mohsin
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

I am a 33 year old female. As a teenager, I got acne on my face and back. In my 20's it mostly went away. I would get a pimple here and there on my face, but nothing too bad. My back cleared up completely. Now in my 30's, the acne has started to come back worse. I get breakouts on my face, chest, and back. I have tried courses of antibiotics like Minocycline and Doxycycline, but they never cleared up entirely. My doctor checked my hormone levels, but there was nothing abnormal. He also got me checked for PCOS, but there was nothing abnormal there either. Would you recommend trying birth control or should I go straight for Accutane?

#

Please attach some good quality pictures of the affected area.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

My face is not too bad at the moment, but I added some pictures of the areas where I have the breakouts. I also included a picture of my back.

#

• I have seen the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest the following:
  1. Take Azithromycin 250 mg once daily for a month.
  2. Apply Clindamycin 1 % solution twice daily for a month.
  3. Apply Isotretinoin gel on the face at night for a month.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have tried antibiotics previously and they have not fully cleared me up. Would you recommend birth control or Accutane to permanently get rid of it?

#

• No, I would not recommend birth control pills or Accutane (Isotretinoin) capsules. They are meant for severe and resistant acne. Yours is mild.

|