Q. Does Azithromycin work the same as Amoxicillin Clavulanate tablet?

Dr. Amritagarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2019

Does (Inozith-250) Azithromycin work the same as (Clavu-nova 625) Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium Tablet USP? I am using to treat a back/chest problem I had two years back which the doctor prescribed Inozith-250 for me. I used the same drug when I had a similar problem and I am well.

#

No, Azithromycin and Amoxicillin plus Clavulanate potassium work via different mechanisms. Azithromycin is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections. Azithromycin is a type of macrolide antibiotic. It works by decreasing the production of protein, thus stopping bacterial growth. That is, it is bacteriostatic.

Amoxicillin attaches to the cell wall of susceptible bacteria and results in their death thus it is a bactericidal compound while Clavulanic acid is a β-lactam drug that functions as a mechanism-based β-Lactamase inhibitor (an enzyme secreted by many bacteria for their defense against Amoxicillin). While not effective by itself as an antibiotic, when combined with penicillin-group antibiotics, it can overcome antibiotic resistance in bacteria that secrete β-lactamase, which otherwise inactivates most Penicillins.

The doctor may have prescribed Azithromycin 250 mg twice a day earlier to you for maybe congestion or cold or some other problem but I would advise you to visit a physician in person and then take the medication. Then it would be of much benefit to you.

For more information consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

|