Q. Did my vision worsen due to acoustic trauma after micro-suction?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Two months ago, I suffered an acoustic trauma after a loud microsuction procedure in my ears to remove ear wax. It left me with tinnitus, hyperacusis, and ear fullness. It got settled after a few weeks, and while at its worst around two and a half weeks to three weeks, it triggered my wisdom tooth, and my gums got swollen. Later it settled down, and I saw my dentist. At the same time, I felt slightly swaying, and my eye on that side blurred. My eyes are blurry and dry, and I think they are worsening. I also have had eye tests and got glasses. I have astigmatism, which seems minor but feels more remarkable to me. The right eye has + 0.50 D spherical power, - 1.00 D cylindrical power, and 170.0 axis. The left eye has + 0.25 D spherical power, - 0.75 D cylindrical power, and axis 10.0. I got glasses nine days before, and I am still struggling to adjust. Although they seem more apparent, I feel disorientated, and the good eye seems worse and dips in and out. Compared to a week ago, the good eye gives blurry and blurred vision around the edges and corners even when removing glasses. I am scared of losing the depth of perception or something.

I feel sensitive to lights now and get some after images and sometimes slight ghosting, especially around brighter pictures and words. I have also seen an ophthalmologist and had my retina checked with an OTC scan. I have not done a CT or MRI yet as my noise trauma has affected me. Eyes seem more blurry all the time, and from the corner, the peripheral vision in one seems more blurred. I am terrified of what this acoustic trauma has done to me. It all began a few weeks after the noise blasted in my ears. I have already seen an ENT specialist and done a basic hearing test. The eyes concern me so much and double vision when tired and during the night. Feel like I became fatigued, and my eyes worsened as the day went on. I also wake up and feel I am wearing my glasses and see the edges around them. My eyes were fine before this trauma. I am so scared every day. Is there any damage to the nervous system? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. As per your description, one thing I can say is that acoustic trauma or dental problem would not affect the vision. Regarding the eye symptoms, I would like to know the following,

1) Do you mainly have blurring of vision or after effect? or also have double vision?

2) What did your ophthalmologist say about eye symptoms?

I suggest magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain, including eyes and optic nerve, to rule out certain conditions.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain with orbits (including bilateral optic nerve) with contrast and visual evoked potential measures.

Suggest consulting physician.

NIL

Thanks for the reply. Suddenly I feel the need for my glasses every second now. Also, vision seems smudged. It happened after a blast to my ears from the procedure. I am frightened that it has caused some damage to my nervous system and tissues and structures etc. OTC scan of retina is normal. My eyes are dry, and would MRI and also functional MRI show everything like if there were damage to cells, neurons, etc.? Will a visual evoked potential also show if there are issues with neurons or nervous system, or the thalamic brain? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. The involvement of the brain (at areas representing vision or visual pathway in the brain) may affect the eye, mainly in the form of decreased areas of the image. Involvement of optic nerves can cause blurring of vision, but that does not show improvement by spectacles. MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) can show if any lesion is there. But if there is no lesion, it may not show in MRI. Visual evoked potential detects conduction time in the visual pathway, and it is a supportive investigation, not a very precise tool. No one can give assurance which examination will pick the diagnosis. Still need to find or rule out a few things for present symptoms. In medical science, to reach a diagnosis and deciding management, the symptoms, examination findings, positive and negative investigations, response to medication, progression or regression of symptoms with time has its value.

I hope you understand.

|