Q. I have blurred vision and dizziness on exertion. Is it due to hypoxia caused by asthma?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2019

I am a 21-year-old male. I have asthma and hypotension. I am below average weight (5'10'', 117 lbs). Over the last few months, any time I exert myself beyond normal. I get really dizzy and my vision blurs and tunnels and my lungs hurt badly until I take my inhaler. About 60 seconds later, my head started to hurt. Lung pain decreases over the next 20-30 minutes. I take two inhalers, Salbutamol and Fluticasone, regularly. Is this hypoxia caused by my asthma? Is my steroid inhaler not doing its job?

#

As you said you are asthmatic and taking two inhalers. But you suffer exertional dyspnea and fatigue also hypotension and all this is because of hypoxia. Your asthma is not under control. So you need to increase the dose of Fluticasone inhaler or take a combination inhaler of Fluticasone and Budesonide (Symbicort 320). Your doctor will help you to give you the proper inhaler with standard strength. Using Salbutamol frequently is not good as it worsens your asthma.

The goal of asthma management is no day time symptoms, no night time symptoms and able to do daily activities without symptoms. So I advise you to see your physician at earliest to increase the dose of your inhaler.

|