Q. What treatment can be had for the skin tag in my groin area?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am a 42-year-old male. I have what looks like a mole or skin tag in my groin area. The mole or tag itself does not hurt. The mole or tag is soft and rubbery. I have noticed a hard boil like a lump under the tag or mole a couple weeks ago. When I squeeze it, blood would come out. It did heal but I noticed yesterday a small boil like lump that came back and I squeezed again and a little blood came out. Again the actual mole or tag does not itch or hurt at all. I am on blood pressure and cholesterol medications. I have attached photos.

#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is an acrochordon (skin tag) which must be secondarily infected due to constant squeezing.

Groin area, armpits, and neck are the common site of skin tags.

Was there color change (black pigmentation) weeks prior or was it skin colored before and changed recently?

Avoid touching and squeezing as it would lead to recurrent bacterial infection.

Apply Fusidic acid 2% cream twice daily.

Excision of same would be the best line of management.

Also excised lesion can be sent for histopathology to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am pretty sure it has had that dark color for years. My wife says it looks like blood comes out of the actual tag. It could also be from bruising. Can I you get this cream over-the-counter? It is also to the right of the groin and of course, my boxers are flushed against it.

#

Yes, constant friction also can lead to secondary infection since it is present in the groin area.

Yes, you will get it over the counter.

It is an antibacterial cream.

The alternative is T-Bact cream (Mupirocin Topical) 2% cream.

Kindly consider excision and histopathology to avoid future episodes.

|