Q. What treatment can be had for the skin tag in my groin area?

Answered by
Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 42-year-old male. I have what looks like a mole or skin tag in my groin area. The mole or tag itself does not hurt. The mole or tag is soft and rubbery. I have noticed a hard boil like a lump under the tag or mole a couple weeks ago. When I squeeze it, blood would come out. It did heal but I noticed yesterday a small boil like lump that came back and I squeezed again and a little blood came out. Again the actual mole or tag does not itch or hurt at all. I am on blood pressure and cholesterol medications. I have attached photos.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is an acrochordon (skin tag) which must be secondarily infected due to constant squeezing.

Groin area, armpits, and neck are the common site of skin tags.

Was there color change (black pigmentation) weeks prior or was it skin colored before and changed recently?

Avoid touching and squeezing as it would lead to recurrent bacterial infection.

Apply Fusidic acid 2% cream twice daily.

Excision of same would be the best line of management.

Also excised lesion can be sent for histopathology to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you doctor,

I am pretty sure it has had that dark color for years. My wife says it looks like blood comes out of the actual tag. It could also be from bruising. Can I you get this cream over-the-counter? It is also to the right of the groin and of course, my boxers are flushed against it.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, constant friction also can lead to secondary infection since it is present in the groin area.

Yes, you will get it over the counter.

It is an antibacterial cream.

The alternative is T-Bact cream (Mupirocin Topical) 2% cream.

Kindly consider excision and histopathology to avoid future episodes.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have red wound growing on my thighs. What is it?

Stop applying Candid B (Beclomethasone and Clotrimazole) ... You can use topical Clotrimazole cream local application twice daily and take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for four weeks afte...   Read full

Can I use Hydrozole for jock itch?

Hydrozole (combination of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin) ...   Read full

What is the skin tag connecting via side of my vulva skin?

.. have any other medical health issue or have been on medications? It is better to have a complete check and treatment if any health issue you have. Regarding discharge, it should be checked in the laboratory by sending a high vaginal swab to check ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.