Q. My CT scan reported multiple cysts in gallbladder. What is it?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Jun 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

Suddenly, I had an intense stomach pain. As per recommendation, I had a CT scan and other tests were carried out. It reported small multiple calculi with biliary sludge in the gallbladder. Jaundice is also high. My stomach pain, headache, body pain and vomiting is happening regularly. I have all these for the last 20 days. Please suggest me what to do. As per my doctor I should not go for surgery till jaundice is completely nil. 

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the details posted.

The problem you are suffering from is called acute calculous cholecystitis, where gallbladder has stones and gets inflamed along with hepatitis.

As the stones are multiple, you may also suffer from pancreatitis, which should be checked by doing serum lipase level.

So, in acute calculous cholecystitis when a patient presents early, surgery can be done for removal of gallbladder within three to five days of starting of pain abdomen or it has to be performed four to six weeks after everything has subsided unless there are any complications.

Initially, we keep such patients nil per oral till vomiting and pain in the abdomen subside. Then, start on oral liquids and soft diet and keep on monitoring liver function tests.

Kindly upload your liver function test and ultrasound official report for more information on this.

You need to take antiemetics, antibiotics and hepatoprotective agents like Ursodeoxycholic acid.

Avoid oil foods, non-vegetarian foods, take bland diet and follow up with liver function tests.

Kindly get back with further details and upload all the concerned reports, so that I can go through them in detail and can help you further with your problem.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

Are high sugar and raised liver enzymes side effects of Protonix?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Protonix for almost three weeks for acid reflux. I had some blood laboratory work done and it showed my AST 812 and ALT 1,115. Could this be a rare side effect of Protonix? My glucose also went up to 192 and lipase is 72. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs...  Read Full »