Q. With respiratory problem, is it wise to plan gallbladder operation?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

My mother was diagnosed to have acute cholecystitis. She is 65 years old and is suffering from respiratory and heart problem. One mild stroke also happened around two years back. She had recently failed pulmonary function test. Will it be wise to plan gallbladder operation? Please reply.

#

• Yes, it is wise to carry out gallbladder surgery if she is diagnosed with acute cholecystitis.
  • The only problem with surgery is whether the patient is fit for anesthesia or not.
  • Since your mother is failing pulmonary function tests you should find the cause of her respiratory problem and it should be treated first. Then only she can undergo surgery. Otherwise, it can lead to problem during anesthesia and surgery.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

When can a person have change in voice and breathing difficulty?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old female. I smoke but I have no medical history. I do take medicines for depression. About 2 months ago, I started to lose my voice. Otherwise, I felt fine. I do not have a history of losing my voice, so I assumed I must have picked up a virus. My voice slowly continued t...  Read Full »

How can stomach problems be treated after having had a gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female who is 5 feet 3 inches weighing 140 pounds. For the past four months, I have been dealing with stomach problems such as diarrhea and bloating and lack of appetite. It did turn out that my gallbladder was functioning at 18% and just last week I had a laparo...  Read Full »

How reliable are the PFT tests?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my PFT report and blood reports here for your reference. I would like to get a detailed analysis of my report. Kindly explain.  Read Full »