Q. My voice is so hoarse I can barely speak. Please suggest a remedy.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Feb 09, 2018

Good day to you. I was having post nasal drip all last week. Yesterday, it was going away, but today I woke up and my voice is almost gone. I can barely speak. My throat does not hurt. It just feels a little scratchy, constant clearing of throat too and I have developed a cough now with a dark brown mucus (sometimes clear). Nose gets stuffy with dry bloody mucus, never gets clogged or runny. No fever, no body aches yet. Is there anything I could do to help my voice come back? I have a bottle of Amoxicillin, but not sure if it is viral or bacterial that is causing my hoarse voice. Please let me know any remedy I could use in my throat? I have attached a picture of my throat. My tonsils were surgically removed 10 years ago.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You seem to have a typical case of laryngitis associated with viral infection. You should rest the voice, that is, speak less until you feel like the symptoms are resolving.

Avoid throat clearing as it irritates the throat further and hinders healing.

Steam inhalation three times a day will help with both nasal/ sinus congestion and post nasal drip.

You can add small amounts of menthol crystal to the steam which works better than steam alone, but do not add too many.

You can use intranasal steroid spray called Budesonide one puff in each nostril once daily for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Since you already have dry nasal mucosa, do not take antihistamines.

The cough is brownish because it may be mixed with little blood which may have come from irritated throat lining. Too much throat clearing or coughing can lead to minor tears in the throat which heal rapidly, so do not worry. However, if there is fresh blood, you must see your ER doctor.

Acute laryngitis, which is very likely what you are suffering from, resolves on its own in a week. If symptoms worsen or do not improve in a week, or if you come down with fever, you may require oral antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

What is Montair LC Kid used for?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 3 years and seven months old. She is a healthy kid. After two and a half years, we observed that she repeatedly catches a cold and cough. The cold lasts for more than two weeks followed by a cough. Her under eye becomes dark. She breathes with her mouth and keeps her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a case of hyper reactive airway disease. You will need to use the Budecort inhaler (Budesonide) continuously and observe. The Asthalin inhaler (Salbutamol) will need to be given if there is a cough or cold for a week. Continue Montair LC Kid (Monteluka...  Read Full

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full

How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief. Then, our chest specialist suggested Neb...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is suffering from bronchial asthma. The current medications Foracort 200 mcg inhaler (Budesonide and Formoterol) and Nasonex (Mometasone) nasal spray were given for asthma. As there is no relief even after taking tablet Clavam (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate)...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now