Q. Can ear pricking cause ear pain and hearing loss?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

After reading what your complaints are, I think two possibilities are there which can lead to the symptoms you are perceiving. It could be that you already had an underlying infection of the middle ear which can lead to an earache and pricking was incidental or that fiddling with ear may have lead to infection of the external ear canal which could lead to symptoms.

I would like to know if you had a common cold and running nose or pharyngitis before an earache and decreased hearing appeared. Is there any discharge from the ear? Does moving your pinna cause any pain? In either cases, you need an antibiotic and analgesics. If you had any history of cold, you need decongestants as well.

URTI (upper respiratory tract infection).

1. AOM (acute otitis media).
2. Otitis externa.

|