Q. Can ear pricking cause ear pain and hearing loss?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on Oct 24, 2018

I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

After reading what your complaints are, I think two possibilities are there which can lead to the symptoms you are perceiving. It could be that you already had an underlying infection of the middle ear which can lead to an earache and pricking was incidental or that fiddling with ear may have lead to infection of the external ear canal which could lead to symptoms.

I would like to know if you had a common cold and running nose or pharyngitis before an earache and decreased hearing appeared. Is there any discharge from the ear? Does moving your pinna cause any pain? In either cases, you need an antibiotic and analgesics. If you had any history of cold, you need decongestants as well.

URTI (upper respiratory tract infection).

1. AOM (acute otitis media).
2. Otitis externa.

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full

My grandson has developed earache and discharge. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson. He had an ear ache when he woke up this morning and we saw a doctor here. He prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice a day. Later, his ear felt better, but it started draining. Now, there is a small amount of bright red blood in the ear canal. ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He seems to be suffering from acute otitis media. Yes, you would need to see your doctor again as he would check for signs of a perforation. If no perforation is found, your doctor would add up an antibiotic and antifungal ear drops too. Make sure he does not manipul...  Read Full