Q. I have clogged right ear with ringing sound. Please help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I am a 42-year-old healthy female. Last Friday, I woke up with a very muffled right ear. As I started stressing about it, I developed ringing. I went to my family doctor, and she said that the ear was heavily congested but saw no infection. She also looked up at my nostril and said my right nostril was inflamed. She thinks it is allergies and prescribed Flonase. My ear is still ringing and feels congested on and off. If I get busy and stop stressing about the ringing, it does go away, but when I start to think about it comes back. This is giving me a lot of anxiety. Will this go away? Is there anything else I should be doing? I am not on any other medicines.

#

I would like to know whether you have any sinus problems. Did you have an earache? Has your hearing improved now? Is it only the ringing sensation that bothers you? Or do your ears still feel clogged?

Of course, tinnitus can follow acute otitis media or secretory otitis media that occur due to nasal allergies. It usually disappears once the eustachian tube function returns to normal and the ear block clears up. However, at times it can persist for a while. If you indeed have a nasal allergy, fluid can build up in the ear and cause ringing in the ear. You can try any decongestant nasal spray in addition to steroid spray. Further, try doing Valsalva and Toynbee maneuvers.

Yes, there is on and off mild ache in the ear. And now there are lots of crackles and popping. This was not there before the Flonase. I do suffer from sinus problems on and off more during the spring and summer. The muffled sound goes when I can pop my ears, but I still hear ringing.

#

Well, then it looks like you have suffered from an acute otitis media secondary to allergic rhinopharyngitis. You would require topical nasal decongestants like Xylometazoline twice to thrice a day and antihistamines like Montelukast and Levocetirizine in addition to topical steroids. You can also do Eustachian tube opening maneuvers like Valsalva and Toynbee, which will equalize middle ear pressures and aid in the drainage.

|