Q. Can my acute pancreatitis become chronic?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri
Published on Aug 02, 2018

I had acute pancreatitis three weeks ago (probably due to too many drinks on a Saturday although I am not a big drinker generally) and since then struggled with digestion.

I am very worried as some of my stools are pale yellow and I have terrible fatigue. My blood tests are now all fine and the CT scan (taken five days after admission to hospital) were all good.

My symptoms have changed and are mostly very painful referred pain after eating and fatigue. I am very worried about chronic pancreatitis.

My question is, is my system still recovering and could I have these symptoms whilst the pancreas heals without it being now chronic?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Generally, it takes time to recover after acute pancreatitis. I suggest you stop drinking alcohol, absolute cessation of alcohol. You are at a risk of developing repeated episodes of pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis if you continue to drink.

Please start enzyme supplements.

As the CT is normal, you may not be having chronic pancreatitis but an endoscopic ultrasound is a better investigation to know if you have chronic pancreatitis or not as the CT is normal.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

Can Escitalopram cause acute pancreatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is suffering from acute pancreatitis. It started six days ago and he is getting better now but he used to take antidepressants like Escitalopram and Ezeepam and he has been taking these kinds of anxiety medicines from a long time but not continuously but from last six months the u...  Read Full »

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

Pancreatic Cancer - Important Facts One Needs to Know

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the types, causes, clinical features, signs, genetic risk factors, investigations, staging and treatment of pancreatic cancer. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Pancreatic cancer is the fourth leading cause of death. It is usually detected late and 85% to 90% are inoperable. The most common age group is 60 to 79 years. Types of Pancreatic Cancer: There are two types of pancreatic cancer. They are endocrine tumors and infiltrating ductal adenocarcinoma. C...  Read Article

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now