Q. Can my acute pancreatitis become chronic?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

I had acute pancreatitis three weeks ago (probably due to too many drinks on a Saturday although I am not a big drinker generally) and since then struggled with digestion.

I am very worried as some of my stools are pale yellow and I have terrible fatigue. My blood tests are now all fine and the CT scan (taken five days after admission to hospital) were all good.

My symptoms have changed and are mostly very painful referred pain after eating and fatigue. I am very worried about chronic pancreatitis.

My question is, is my system still recovering and could I have these symptoms whilst the pancreas heals without it being now chronic?

#

Generally, it takes time to recover after acute pancreatitis. I suggest you stop drinking alcohol, absolute cessation of alcohol. You are at a risk of developing repeated episodes of pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis if you continue to drink.

Please start enzyme supplements.

As the CT is normal, you may not be having chronic pancreatitis but an endoscopic ultrasound is a better investigation to know if you have chronic pancreatitis or not as the CT is normal.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|