Q. Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Answered by
Dr. Erfana Malik
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in liver and pancreas, I think there are two differential diagnosis, which are hepatitis and acute pancreatitis.
  • There are few more tests that should be done, I advise you to see your physician again for the following tests:
  1. Serum amylase level.
  2. GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase).
  3. Lipid profile.
  4. Hepatitis surface antigen and anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody.
  • Are you alcoholic?
  • In my point of view, you need hospital admission for complete screening and evaluation along with intravenous fluids, nothing by mouth.

Hope this helps you to some extent at least.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your response. Hope you have gone through my reports thoroughly. I admit that I was alcoholic, and I had no control over my food habit. Still, I go for regular exercise. My doctor told me to go for surgery next week. Will it be the final solution? Or is there any reason to worry after that? Please advise on that. Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Yes, I have gone through all your reports thoroughly. Well, as I mentioned that gallstones are one reason of your current illness, so surgery definitely is going to give you relief from your symptoms.
  • But, you will need lifestyle modifications. It means you need to change your dietary habits, avoid fatty foods and alcohol, lose weight, do regular exercise. If you do this, you will definitely remain symptom-free.

I wish you good health and a successful surgery.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your useful advise. I will keep in touch with you in future.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Thanks. I will be happy to help you out, do ask if you have any query in future.

For further queries consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Understanding Low Back Pain

.. commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation .. ...   Read full

How can I reduce weight?

But it seems like my weight plateaued ... So for now, I am frustrated and worried why am I not losing weight ...   Read full

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

However, you may get yourself tested in order to clear the doubt and negative test will confirm the things ... I do not think you need to worry about it, but if the blood was present in the house then it is better to get...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.