Q. Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Dr. Erfana Malik
Published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in liver and pancreas, I think there are two differential diagnosis, which are hepatitis and acute pancreatitis.
  • There are few more tests that should be done, I advise you to see your physician again for the following tests:
  1. Serum amylase level.
  2. GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase).
  3. Lipid profile.
  4. Hepatitis surface antigen and anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody.
  • Are you alcoholic?
  • In my point of view, you need hospital admission for complete screening and evaluation along with intravenous fluids, nothing by mouth.

Hope this helps you to some extent at least.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thanks for your response. Hope you have gone through my reports thoroughly. I admit that I was alcoholic, and I had no control over my food habit. Still, I go for regular exercise. My doctor told me to go for surgery next week. Will it be the final solution? Or is there any reason to worry after that? Please advise on that. Thank you.

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Yes, I have gone through all your reports thoroughly. Well, as I mentioned that gallstones are one reason of your current illness, so surgery definitely is going to give you relief from your symptoms.
  • But, you will need lifestyle modifications. It means you need to change your dietary habits, avoid fatty foods and alcohol, lose weight, do regular exercise. If you do this, you will definitely remain symptom-free.

I wish you good health and a successful surgery.

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your useful advise. I will keep in touch with you in future.

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Thanks. I will be happy to help you out, do ask if you have any query in future.

For further queries consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have positive HBV core IgM which means one of the following: Recent infection (window phase). Reactivation of chronic infection. False positive result. Do you have any symptoms of active hepatitis, like jaundice, or painful liver? I strongly recommend th...  Read Full

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full >>

Dr. Omnath Alvoor
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the data your weight is too high for an individual. You need to rebuild your lifestyle by giving time to exercise and yogic techniques. Especially fast rounds of suryanamaskara will help you with your problems. Start slowly and day by day increase the speed of prac...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now