Q. Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Dr. Erfana Malik
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.

#

I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in liver and pancreas, I think there are two differential diagnosis, which are hepatitis and acute pancreatitis.
  • There are few more tests that should be done, I advise you to see your physician again for the following tests:
  1. Serum amylase level.
  2. GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase).
  3. Lipid profile.
  4. Hepatitis surface antigen and anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody.
  • Are you alcoholic?
  • In my point of view, you need hospital admission for complete screening and evaluation along with intravenous fluids, nothing by mouth.

Hope this helps you to some extent at least.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thanks for your response. Hope you have gone through my reports thoroughly. I admit that I was alcoholic, and I had no control over my food habit. Still, I go for regular exercise. My doctor told me to go for surgery next week. Will it be the final solution? Or is there any reason to worry after that? Please advise on that. Thank you.

#

• Yes, I have gone through all your reports thoroughly. Well, as I mentioned that gallstones are one reason of your current illness, so surgery definitely is going to give you relief from your symptoms.
  • But, you will need lifestyle modifications. It means you need to change your dietary habits, avoid fatty foods and alcohol, lose weight, do regular exercise. If you do this, you will definitely remain symptom-free.

I wish you good health and a successful surgery.

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your useful advise. I will keep in touch with you in future.

#

• Thanks. I will be happy to help you out, do ask if you have any query in future.

For further queries consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|