Q. I developed pancreatitis. Do i have chronic pancreatitis ?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Hello Doctor,

I developed pancreatic disease.

I have been worsening the condition by taking the triggers (heavy food and alcohol).

Last April and July I could manage with a strict diet to bring the inflammation and enzyme levels down.

I am maintaining a low fat diet and I have reduced the amount of alcohol I consume. Then I was doing fine.

Two weeks ago, I had a heavy meal and too much alcohol and got an acute attack.

I was hospitalized and now I feel better as I strictly follow the diet. 

The MRI scan which I took last week (1st August) shows an improvement than the CT scan taken in the month of July.

I am taking the following as maintenance medications:

• Metoprolol 50mg twice a day and Irbesartan 150 mg once a day for hypertension.
  • Escitalopram 10mg once 1 day for anxiety.
  • Pantoprazole 40mg twice a day for my acidity issue.
  • Pancreatin 650mg 3 times a day with meals.

I have the following questions:

• Is there really no medicine to help the pancreas for complete healing or will I have this issue for my entire life?
  • Are there any supplements like vitamins, minerals etc., apart from healthy living that would protect my pancreas?
  • Do I have chronic pancreatitis?
#

I have gone through your history and investigations.You are hypertensive, under medication for the same.

You are also under medication for anxiety, gastritis and reflux.You are having acute attacks of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

If you continue taking heavy meals and alcohol, it might result in chronic pancreatitis, which in turn will cause irreversible changes in the pancreas.There is no medicine which can prevent pancreatitis if you continue taking alcohol and fatty fried meals.

I would suggest you to continue the medicines that you are taking and follow these instructions very strictly.

• Avoid spicy, fermented meals.
  • Do not have heavy meals.
  • Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
  • Wear loose clothes.
  • Do not stoop.
  • Do not lift heavy weights.
  • Raise the head end of your bed.
  • If under stress, manage stress levels by meditation, exercise and yoga.

Consult a general medicine physician online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|