Q. Can pancreatitis happen again even after gallbladder removal surgery?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

One month ago, I suffered from pancreatitis, and based on the MRCP doctor says that the pancreas is fine now, but I need to get gall bladder removal surgery. I want to ask if there is any chance of pancreatitis again after removal.

#

Once pancreatitis is controlled, patients are advised for gall bladder removal surgery to prevent reoccurrence of pancreatitis, as in your case. The doctor has instructed you on gall bladder removal because a prevalent cause of pancreatitis is gall bladder stones. Sometimes stones from the gall bladder reach the pancreas and cause pancreatitis. So, once the gall bladder is removed, there is no chance of pancreatitis occurring due to stones. But pancreatitis can occur due to other causes, which is rare. So my advice will be to go ahead with the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|