Q. I have blood and mucus in stool with pancreatitis. How to treat my condition?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2020

I am having mucus and bloody stools. The mucus has been occurring for about 10 months, and the bleeding began about one month ago. I have issues with my pancreas for which I am taking Creon, and I had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones seven months ago. I am a 24-year-old female with a healthy diet and not overweight or underweight. I am passing stools normally three times a day. There is no pain associated with passing stools but occasionally pain associated with eating.

#

I can imagine that you must be very upset about your bleeding issue, on the background of pancreatitis problem. You are through pretty tough time, I can imagine that.

Well, the post-meal pain seem to be due to pancreatic related. With recurrent pancreatitis, the calcification and stones can form in the main pancreatic duct, which can cause pain just after meals. Vitamin B deficiency seems to be malabsorption which simply accompanies with recurrent acute pancreatitis.

Now, the bleeding with mucus is suggestive of rectum inflammation. The rectum is the reservoir of large bowel which stores stools before they are passed out. The inflammation of the rectum can cause, urgency, feeling of incomplete evacuation, mucus with some blood. Since the problem is going on for pretty long time, I am afraid that you might have ulcerative proctitis which is form of ulcerative colitis limited to rectum only.

The ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune condition of inflammation of the large bowel, which can accompany type II autoimmune pancreatitis. Since the cause of your pancreatitis is still in doubt (microlithiasis of gall bladder is one cause which was very well taken care off, but no one can justify the recurrent episodes even after removal of the gall bladder). So I want you to ask some blood and stool testing, as I can be in better to confirm the findings what I just said.

Once the cause of your ongoing bleeding and mucus is establish, I can start you on treatment right away.

Recurrent pancreatitis. Ulcerative proctitis/colitis.

Do upload all investigations which you have for the work up of pancreatitis, and for this bleeding in stools. Get the following tests if not done previously.
ANA (antinuclear antibody). Profile including ANA, AMA, ASMA. Liver function testing. Serum IgG4 level. Serum IgG level. Stool for detailed report. Stool for fecal calprotectin. Stool for ova and parasites. Stool for C difficle antigen. Blood IHA titer for the Entamaeba histolytica.

Autoimmune pancreatitis type II. Idiopathic recurrent acute pancreatitis (genetic-related). Ulcerative procitits/colitis.

Will discuss once the investigations are available.

Follow up after investigations.

| 

Are there any home remedies for blood in stools with constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old and I have a problem of blood in the stool for two days. I do not feel pain and any other symptoms but sometimes constipation exist and my long toilet interval is once every two days (most common). Sometimes rarely on every day or three days interval. Are there any...  Read Full »

What could cause pain and difficulty in passing stools with blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pain while passing stools and there are some blood spots on the stool. The pain is unbearable but there is no swelling as such. I am unable to go out due to the lockdown situation. Please guide me on what to do. Is this normal? I am a diabetic.  Read Full »

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now