Q. I have elevated amylase levels with bloating and mild abdominal discomfort. What to do?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My consulting doctor told me to do further investigations and did not say anything dangerous. I am attaching the reports.

#

The endoscopy reports show that you have mild inflammation in the lining of the stomach and in the first part of the small intestine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The doctor has taken biopsies to examine under a microscope. The findings in the endoscope are nothing serious. It is a common finding. You need further investigation. You have not mentioned your complaints. If you tell me, I can able to guide you further.

I was referred to a gastroenterologist as my amylase level was 142 U/L. I was suffering from bloating, severe gas, fullness, and mild discomfort. I had this problem for a couple of days. So I consulted the doctor and he reanalyzed amylase levels and it was elevated. I know people who had been diagnosed with pancreatitis. So I can say my pain seems to be near my pancreas. But I am not sure whether I have pancreatitis or not and I do not know the reason to do further investigations as suggested by the doctor. Also, I was perfectly fine before the endoscopy. Now, an hour later I have stomach discomfort. I feel to have backed up gas. Is it normal? When I eat, it becomes worse.

#

The amylase levels are elevated in acute pancreatitis and it is accompanied by severe pain. The elevation in amylase levels is not significant when it is less than three times the upper limit of the laboratory values. Just check the value given in the laboratory report. If it is less than the upper limit of the normal value, then there is nothing to worry. Minor elevations in amylase levels can be seen due to various reasons and it includes gastritis. The feeling of having mild abdominal discomfort after the procedure is quite normal. It will go off by itself within a few hours. There is no harm in undergoing further tests as prescribed by your doctor. Meanwhile, if the pain gets worse on eating, then ask your doctor to prescribe gastric acid supplements.

|