Q. I have lower abdominal discomfort and food digestion issues. Please help.

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

I think I suffer from liver and a gastric problem for the past two years. Food is not digested properly. Lower abdomen left side some burning sensation, swelling, and pain were there. Sometimes, I feel the hardness in the lower left abdomen. Bilirubin total is high and bilirubin direct and indirect are also high.

#

Your liver tests are normal. The small increase in indirect billirubin alone (as the one you have) most commonly corresponds to Gilbert syndrome, which is totally harmless. This syndrome is hereditary but has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under conditions of exertion, stress, fasting (as the one you need for the laboratory tests), and infections.

About your gastric problem, what do you mean by food is not digested properly? Do you mean you have rests of food in your stool? Do you mean you have bloating, nausea, vomiting? Chronic pain in the left abdomen especially after eating and with changes in your stool may be colitis or irritable bowel syndrome. For this, you may take over-the-counter medicines that contain Pinaverium bromide or/and Cinitapride. This should be taken every 12 hours for two weeks. This medication is to cease the swelling and irritation in this problem.

About your thyroid tests. You have subclinical hypothyroidism (which is you have increased thyroid stimulating hormone and normal thyroid hormones). If you have other symptoms like intolerance to cold weather, increase in weight without another reason, constipation, then you may need thyroid replacing hormones. If you do not have these symptoms you may repeat this laboratory test in 4 to 6 months.

|