Amylase

Will quitting alcohol bring amylase and lipase levels back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pancreas enzymes such as amylase and lipase at high levels. I am an alcoholic. I do not have abdomen pain, but I have little high cholesterol. Doctor advised me to stop the drink and maintain low fat diet. Will it reverse to normal if I stop drinking? I have stopped drinkin...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are suffering from subacute pancreatitis. The people who consume alcohol have many attacks of subacute pancreatitis that goes unnoticed as there is no m...  Read Full »

Can Glycerin suppository be used twice a week for a 2-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 month old daughter started passing stool irregularly, from the past eight days. She was passing a lot of gas, but it did not smell. Seeing no improvement, we took her to the pediatrician, who said she had gas in her stomach. So, he gave her Decolic, Neopeptine, and Glycerin suppo...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This must probably be your first child, that is why this query. Please note that children under the age of six months may pass stools either 10 to 15 times a month or once in 2 to 3 days. And it is absolutely normal. You should be worried only if the child has not passed ...  Read Full »

Why do I have severe stomach pain after eating fatty foods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. What could be the cause of a severe stomach pain that happens after eating nuts, seeds, and things with oil in them? By oil, I mean even olive oil and not just greasy foods. This reaction has been happening for a year or so, and I have avoided these foods as ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Severe stomach pain and cramps can be caused by pancreatitis and food allergy. In your case, both are equally probable. Pancreatitis is a common cause of pain that occurs after the intake of oil-rich foods. Food allergy is a diagnosis of exclusion. I suggest the f...  Read Full »

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in live...  Read Full »

My blood test for excess gas release shows some changes. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I took the blood test because of excess gas release and in that my red blood cells showed some impressions. Please help. I have attached my report. I am afraid and shivering. Is there any problem in my blood test?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CBC report is normal and does not suggest a specific abnormality. The red blood cell count is within the limit so do not worry about that. In the attached report, serum amylase and lipase are elevated (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So pancreas ...  Read Full »

How to regulate amylase and lipase levels in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, My lipase and amylase are above normal with a level of 100 U/L and 192 U/L. Can you suggest some supplements to restore them?  Read Full »

Dr. Fatemeh Jadidi

Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Increased lipase and amylase level indicates a sign of other complication, and it needs to be diagnosed. Your BMI (body mass index) is 27.8 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to reduce your weight through exercise and by following a healthy diet....  Read Full »

What are the causes of high amylase levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My 50 years old mother's blood report showed the amylase levels to be high. The amylase level is 126, rheumatoid factor is 16, and TSH is 6.275. What do these values indicate? What are the causes for this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have described, it appears that your mother has slightly high serum amylase levels, which could be mild pancreatitis due to high-fat diet or alcohol. You must see an internal medicine specialist for this condition. She also has a sl...  Read Full »

Please comment on the abnormal values in my blood test report.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 56 year old male. I got my blood tests done recently. Kindly advice on what is required like medicines or tonics. I am an engineering manager in a corporate field. I am not taking any medicines as of now. I am generally healthy and follow a normal office routine of 10 AM to 7 PM...  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Many of the values are abnormal. You have a vitamin B12 deficiency. That is the reason the MCV (mean corpuscular volume) value is increased in the complete hemogram. Amylase level is also increased in...  Read Full »

How to lower lipase and amylase levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got my routine body check up done in which my lipase has come elevated at 71 and amylase at 146. There is no nausea or fever, just upset stomach. Though I am not an alcoholic per se, before the test I was abroad for two weeks and was drinking two beers every day. Since childh...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have studied your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They signify that your lipase and amylase are raised due to alcohol consumption. Since there is no problem in the liver echotexture, this can be well controlled by stopping alcohol. I ...  Read Full »

When do amylase and lipase levels become normal after heavy drinking episode?

Query: Hello doctor, I drank for five days heavily and was admitted to a hospital with hangover and heartburn. They took the test and my amylase and lipase were little high. Then they gave me medicines. Past one week, I am taking Panblock morning and night and Encremin. My health is alright now but my amy...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had a mild attack of acute pancreatitis. The amylase level shoots first and slowly decreases over two to three weeks. Lipase shoots slowly. No point in checking it very often as it usually...  Read Full »