Q. I have acute pharyngitis and suffer from throat pain even after taking medicines. Please help.

Dr. Prasun Mishra
Published on Nov 03, 2019

I am suffering from acute pharyngitis for the past five years. I used the following medicines in these two weeks. Tablet Paracetamol, CPmaleate 4 mg, Clarithromycin 250 mg, Diclofenac sodium, Voveran, Cetrizine, and Cefuroxime sodium 250 mg. But still, I am suffering from throat pain and it is a very sharp pain that occurs whenever I swallow something. Please advise on what should I do now?

I have attached my doctor prescription to you. I have used medicine for both the viral and, bacterial infection, and I am allergic to Ciprofloxacin. Please help.

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I went through all your prescriptions. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The antibiotics that you have taken are broad-spectrum (strong), and if it was bacterial you should have improved. The reason for your condition I feel is viral and reflux associated.

I suggest

1) Get your throat swab sent for culture and sensitivity tests.

2) Take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for six days.

3) Tablet Febrex Plus (Paracetamol, Chlorpheniramine maleate, and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride) one tablet twice daily.

4) Tablet Neksium (Esomeprazole) 40 mg, once daily in an empty stomach.

5) Drink a lot of normal water (neither hot nor cold).

6) Multivitamin capsules (Zevit) once daily.

Take all the above tablets for six days and let me know the progress.

I am having cough and running nose with green sputum following a headache. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been coughing and having running nose, sputum is light green with a distinctive taste while spitting. All this started with a headache and bad binge. Kindly help me with the next course of action.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashi Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query. Regarding a cough and cold, it looks like you have acute pharyngitis. Take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once a day for a runny nose. It causes sleepiness in some people so you can take it before bedtime. But if a runny nose is troublesome you can tak...  Read Full

My son has a fever since two months. How to get it under control?

Query: Hello doctor,My son, 3 years and 9 months old, is suffering from a fever of 103, cough, and cold since two months. I have given him medications, but the fever is not getting controlled.  Read Full >>

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If his symptoms are the same since the last two months, you should show him to your nearest pediatric doctor as he needs to be checked for swine flu and acute pharyngitis. Let him drink plenty of water. Complete the course of antibiotics as advised by his doctor. For ...  Read Full

Why does my throat hurt after singing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full >>

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection. Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle ...  Read Full