Q. I have throat pain, but there is no actual swelling. How to treat this?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 34 year old female. My symptoms are as follows: Intense throat pain while swallowing saliva. The pain radiates to the ear and sometimes, head and gives me a headache. Dry throat, especially in the area of pain. I also have a feeling of swelling in the throat, but the doctor said there is no swelling. It is fine in the morning and gets worse through the day. Talking seems to make it worse. It is not that bad while swallowing food or water, but the pain is mainly while swallowing saliva. There is no lump or anything visible, but I can see a small mouth sore kind of thing at the back of the throat. I am not sure, if it is related to this or not and the doctor seemed to think it is not. Drinking water helps me temporarily. Strepsils and Advil helps to a little extent. My doctor did a physical examination inside and outside the throat and said nothing seems to be wrong. One key thing is that when I turn my head to the right and swallow, it does not hurt. It hurts only when I look straight or left and swallow. I have started salt water gargle, turmeric water gargle, ginger tea with honey, Septran tablets, etc. When it did not help, I visited a doctor. He prescribed Amoxicillin for four days, but it did not help. Also, I am using Benzydamine oral rinse for the past two days.

#

• It does not look like you got any malignancy to be worried.
  • It does look like throat sore. Additionally, you might be having globus, which gives a feeling of throat swelling.
  • I would suggest you to do gargles as prescribed and Benzydamine should help. Also, I suggest multivitamin tablets for a week.
  • Drink water frequently, so that the lesion gets time to heal and not interrupted by saliva. Healing should take a minimum of three to four days.
  • Avoid spicy, oily food, tea and coffee for two weeks.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I appreciate your help. My only concern is that this has been going on for two months now. Is that normal? If that is a lesion, then it would have healed by now. Am I right?

#

• Do not worry, leave it normally. Just drink plenty of water and do water gargles frequently.
  • Also, take some multivitamin as that will help.
  • If the lesion does not heal even after two weeks, then can consider having a biopsy done.

|