Q. I have throat pain on swallowing and it persists even after taking medicine. Why?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
Published on Nov 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 18, 2019

I am a 30-year-old male. I have a throat infection with pain in swallowing which increases at night. I took Enzoflam two tablets per day for three days, but the pain still persists. Please advise.

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The majority of throat infections are caused by viruses that cause the common cold and flu. Less often, sore throats are due to bacterial infections. Not all are viral or bacterial, other causes include an allergy to mold, pollen or other irritants or smoking cigarettes or even gastroesophageal reflux (in common words acidity).

It is important to determine the cause, which will help to treat the symptoms. If you are having a fever with a lot of irritation or pain in the throat it is important to consult an ENT specialist in your town and get your throat examined. He will do a physical examination and examine the throat with a lighted instrument. He will also feel your neck for swollen lymph nodes. This will help to reach the diagnosis. If throat infection and fever last for more than five days, it is necessary to run blood tests.

My advice on treatment:

1) Even if the cause is viral, there can be a bacterial added infection, so start on antibiotics. A combination of Amoxycillin with Clavulanic acid (625 mg) is good to be taken twice daily after food for five days.

2) Reduce inflammation and pain with Acetaminophen twice daily after food. Take an antacid with a pain killer to reduce gastric irritation.

3) Gargling with warm salt water or betadine gargles three to four times a day will help.

4) Drink plenty of warm fluids like tea, soup, and water.

5) Take throat lozenges.

6) Avoid allergens like dust and smoking.

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full »

Does Azithromycin work the same as Amoxicillin Clavulanate tablet?

Query: Hello doctor, Does (Inozith-250) Azithromycin work the same as (Clavu-nova 625) Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium Tablet USP? I am using to treat a back/chest problem I had two years back which the doctor prescribed Inozith-250 for me. I used the same drug when I had a similar problem and I am ...  Read Full »

I have throat pain. What do I do?

Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full »