Q. Kindly suggest treatment for urticaria.

Answered by
Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 25-year-old male. I am suffering from urticaria for a long time. I did not remember exactly how long but it has been approximately four months since I am suffering from this issue. My father and brother also had suffered from this, but only once or twice, but for me, this is a normal thing. My skin has become so much sensitive that even soft rubbing can cause redness, itching, and swelling. I had not taken any treatment yet because I was told that this would be cured automatically within a short span of time. But in my case, it is getting worse day by day.



Welcome to

You have new-onset urticaria. Since it has gone on for longer than six weeks, it is now considered chronic urticaria. It is a common condition. Most people will experience at least one episode of urticaria during their lifetimes.

There are many causes of urticaria such as

1. Infections-viruses, bacteria, and parasites

2. Drug allergies.

3. Food allergies.

4. Insect bites or stings.

5. Physical causes like exposure to cold.

The exact cause cannot be identified in about 50 % of the cases. Please try to see if you have changed any cosmetics (hair dye, creams, powders, soaps, shampoos, deodorants, etc.). Have you started any new medicine or supplements (including herbal, over-the-counter, etc.)? Any recent change in your occupation, use of latex, etc.

Any urine infection-burning urine etc. Any use of food colors?If no answer can be obtained, I suggest checking a complete urine examination. Also, I would try a course of de-worming treatment. Albendazole chewable tablets (brand name Zentel) 400 mg. Take it in two doses. The first and second dose should be separated by a week. Take after food, only two doses are required. For symptom relief, try antihistamines. I suggest a non-sedating anti-histamine taken once a day in the morning.If this alone helps, fine, if not, take a different antihistamine at night. Take them daily for a few weeks and then start cutting back slowly and observe. If your itching and urticaria do not respond to anti-histamines, you may need to take corticosteroids.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What medicines can be taken for severe itching and rash throughout the body?

.. through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to have acute urticaria or acute dermatitis. I suggest you continue with tablet Mod Pan (Pantoprazole Sodium Sesquihydrate) 40 mg empty stomach. However, I would ...   Read full

Judicious Use of Cosmetics in Daily Life

.. very common in day-to-day life. So, basic knowledge about the ingredients and the types of reactions to those products are necessary to overcome any problem .. ...   Read full

What is the cause of body itching and how to prevent it?

It is an immediate kind of skin allergy, and once it starts, it usually tends to last 4 to 6 weeks if appropriately treated ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.