Q. What medication should I take for my skin rashes?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been experiencing skin rashes, as shown in the attached photo, for the past three weeks. It all started with itching sensation in both hands, and then red spots came all over my arms, face, and legs.

I have also itching in my head. I was given Avil injection at the hospital and Avil tablets. I also took Teczine tablet afterward. Yesterday I took L Montus tablet. I am also attaching a photo of my prescription.

Today, I feel weak and dizzy, as I am fasting, and I took the injection while fasting. What medication best suits my case? Thank you so much.

#

I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is acute urticaria. I suggest you try taking the following: Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

1. Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg, twice daily after meals for 15 days.
  2. Tablet Rantac (Ranitidine) 150 mg, twice daily before meals for 15 days.
  3. Tablet Omnacortil (Prednisolone) 10 mg, twice a day is given to you as the urticaria is recurrent. You can take it for five days then reduce dose to 10 mg once a day for five days after meals.

Tablet Avil (Pheniramine maleate) is antihistamine that can cause drowsiness. Some patients complain of drowsiness even after taking Levocetirizine. But you need to take Levocetirizine.

Any tablet taken on an empty stomach can cause gastritis. If you have difficulty in swallowing or breathing, then you should visit a doctor immediately.

Get the following blood test done:

1. CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  2. Urine routine microscopy.
  3. Serum IgE (immunoglobulin E).

If urticaria is persistent, and if you still have the rashes, then I suggest Injection Avil 2 cc IM and Injection Hydrocort (Hydrocortisone sodium succinate) 100 mg IV. Stat dose can be given. If the rash has subsided, then continue with above medications.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

|