Q. What medicines can be taken for severe itching and rash throughout the body?

Dr. Kakkar

I have itching and rash on my arms and legs for one week now. There was no itching before. I went to a dermatologist and got some medicines. However, the rash keeps spreading and since the last Thursday, I have fever constantly of 101 degrees. The rash has spread all over my arms and legs and has now spread to my face and neck. All tests for dengue, malaria, CBC, typhoid have been done. All normal except for low WBC. The medicines are mentioned in the list attached herewith. Doctor's notes are also attached. I cannot sleep because of extreme itching. Please help.

#

I went through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You seem to have acute urticaria or acute dermatitis.

I suggest you continue with tablet Mod Pan (Pantoprazole Sodium Sesquihydrate) 40 mg empty stomach. However, I would like to add tablet Zempred (Methylprednisolone) 16 mg once a day after breakfast for a week.

You may continue with tablet Xevor (Levocetirizine) 5 mg twice a day morning and evening.

Topically, you may apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion frequently. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Does urticaria or dermatitis cause high fever? How long do the rashes last? I am concerned because of the rash as it is still spreading after seven days.

#

Urticaria or an acute eruption like this may be due to an underlying cause such as a viral infection or a drug reaction which explains fever.

• Do you still have a fever? I would like you to upload your lab reports.

Treatment is only symptomatic like topical soothing lotions, oral antihistamines, and Paracetamol for fever.

For such widespread eruption, I would rather also give either oral steroids like Zempred (Methylprednisolone) for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Alternatively, there is an option of using topical steroid cream e.g. Tenovate cream (Clobetasol Topical) or Clop cream (Clobetasol Topical).

|