Q. What is causing my sneezing problem, climate change or allergy?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I am living in a tropical coastal area. I used to travel always. When I am outside my place or abroad, I do not have any problem. But, when I enter my place and as soon as I enter my house, I will start sneezing and then after sometime my nose will start dripping. This happens only in my place. When I go outside even for six months I do not get fever or cold. But, in my place every day morning I will start sneezing. I do not know what is happening. Is this because of the climate or dust allergy? What all tests should I do? Which doctor do I need to consult?

#

• This seems to be a hypersensitivity reaction (allergy) and is most likely caused by dust mites in your house. The other factors could be pollens of a particular type of plant near your house.
  • This is not a serious issue and you need not worry about it. Just get an allergen sensitivity skin patch test done.
  • Certain precautions like cleaning old curtains and bed linen will help you. Also, stay away from old books, which harbor such mites.
  • Whenever you have this problem, I suggest Levocetirizine 5 mg tablet. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Check Eosinophil level.

Hypersensitivity.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I do not think that dust and pollens are much responsible as I do not usually sneeze at such situations. When there is a quick temperature change in like a cold breeze, I catch up cold and start to sneeze. Also, in situations such as a cold air blow on sweat after physical work. What course should I go for? Please suggest any fixed solution for this as I have been suffering for many years?

#

• You are right, even cold exposure can sometimes precipitate such symptoms.
  • The best remedy is avoidance, but it is not always possible. So,¬†prophylactically you can take Levocetirizine when you are in trouble.
  • Get eosinophil level done and that will tell us whether there is underlying hypereosinophilia, which requires treatment or not.
  • Take steam inhalation (plain water) and this will soothe the nostrils. But, do not use Otrivin and other drops.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|