Q. Is surgery the only treatment available for adenomyosis?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 11, 2020

My wife has been diagnosed with adenomyosis. What should we do next?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The best treatment for adenomyosis and endometriosis, is hormonal therapy or a hormonal IUD (intrauterine device).

Also, if you are planning for pregnancy, then plan for it immediately. As time passes by the problem may increase and interfere with the fertility. So, it is better you take up pregnancy in the first hand.

However, if you are not planning for pregnancy, then you can go ahead and get a hormonal IUD.

If you have any further doubts, then do get back to me with her age, periods, obstetric history and any other details, which you would like to share.

Revert back with the detailed history to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

A local doctor has advised immediate uterus and ovary removal. Is that the only way of treatment? We do not like to have a surgery. Will the treatment suggested by you effective?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Surgery is not mandatory until and unless the medications are not working or the symptoms are so severe and the medications are of no relief.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Last month, she had Ovral G for 20 days and have taken 10 injections of Placentrex in this month. She got some relief from frequent abdomen pain and discomfort.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• That is really good that having relief in itself says that she is responding to medication. So, she can continue taking the medications until she has some problem.
  • Surgery is definitely not the solution.

| 

I am really sorry to say that was a typo error. There is actually no relief from pain and discomfort.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Please try with a hormonal IUD or injectable hormones after consulting your gynecologist.
  • You have many good option these days. But for sure, surgery is not the best option until any of these is not helping her.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|