Q. Can having an IUD impact intercourse?

How having an IUD can potentially change or affect intercourse for a woman? What are the ways a woman's intimate life may change with an IUD such as certain position hurt more, etc., and why? I would like you to touch on the differences between hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs. How they impact intercourse? Also, kindly share some tips to solve IUD-related problems a woman might stumble across during intercourse. Thank you.

#

IUD or intrauterine devices result in effective contraception for long. The IUDs are an active, cheap and safe method of contraception. Most of the IUDs release a small quantity of hormones daily and provide effective contraception.

In general presence of IUD does not affect the sex life of female or even male partner. The string attached with IUD lies in the cervix, and this is not a sensitive part, so practically woman doesn't feel the string. The effects on sex life occur because of psychological reasons only.

Sometimes, certain positions especially when female is on top results in pain during sex. Even the partner sometimes feel the pain. Missionary position is relatively safer.

Hormonal IUD releases a small amount of hormones daily and provides contraception while non-hormonal like Copper-T has copper filament attached which provides contraception. Copper-T feels heavier than hormonal IUDs.Non-hormonal will not cause any hormonal effects so will not affect sex life.

First of all, a female should be reassured that the IUD will not cause pain. In most the pain occurs due to psychological reasons. They might feel string sometimes but they should ignore the feeling totally. Caution should be there when female is on top during sex. Thanks. Take care.

|