Q. I just got HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests done. Can you help me understand the report?

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am just done with HIV-1 and HIV-2 test. Can you help me understand the report? Result is 0.03. Notes given regarding this test are this is a chemiluminescent enzyme (CLIA) for simultaneous qualitative detection of antibodies to HIV 1 and 2. A negative result does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV 1 and 2. A positive result is not a diagnosis of AIDS. Supplemental testing such as immunoblot should be done for confirmation. Specimens containing mouse monoclonal antibodies or heterophile antibodies can give falsely elevated or depressed values.

#

In CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Assessment) test result, a value greater than 1 is considered reactive (positive). Your result is 0.03, which is less than 1. Hence, it is non-reactive (negative).

In HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) testing, it is very important to know how long it has been since your suspected exposure to infection.It can take up to 3 months from the time of exposure, for the virus to be detected in blood.

If it has been more than 3 months since your suspected exposure, your result confirms that you do not have HIV infection. In case it is less than 3 months since suspected exposure, I advise you to repeat the test after 3 months of exposure.

|