Q. I just got HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests done. Can you help me understand the report?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2019

I am just done with HIV-1 and HIV-2 test. Can you help me understand the report? Result is 0.03. Notes given regarding this test are this is a chemiluminescent enzyme (CLIA) for simultaneous qualitative detection of antibodies to HIV 1 and 2. A negative result does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV 1 and 2. A positive result is not a diagnosis of AIDS. Supplemental testing such as immunoblot should be done for confirmation. Specimens containing mouse monoclonal antibodies or heterophile antibodies can give falsely elevated or depressed values.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

In CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Assessment) test result, a value greater than 1 is considered reactive (positive). Your result is 0.03, which is less than 1. Hence, it is non-reactive (negative).

In HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) testing, it is very important to know how long it has been since your suspected exposure to infection.It can take up to 3 months from the time of exposure, for the virus to be detected in blood.

If it has been more than 3 months since your suspected exposure, your result confirms that you do not have HIV infection. In case it is less than 3 months since suspected exposure, I advise you to repeat the test after 3 months of exposure.

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Can you help me decipher my thyroid reports?

Query: Hello doctor, My reports read as follows: Total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 91 ng/dl. Reference range 60 to 200. Total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 7.8 µg/dl. Reference range 4.5 to 12. Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 0.74 µIU/ml. Reference range 0.3 to 5.5. What should I decipher from this?  Read Full »

TPA is high but VDRL is negative. Does it indicate latent syphilis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been tested for TPA by CLIA and a high titer of 451 was detected. But VDRL is nonreactive. There is a history of unprotected sex three years back with small erosions in genitalia. At that time broad medicines including antibiotics and antifungals were taken without any specific...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now