Q. I just got HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests done. Can you help me understand the report?

Answered by Dr. Suneetha B S and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Aids or Clia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am just done with HIV-1 and HIV-2 test. Can you help me understand the report? Result is 0.03. Notes given regarding this test are this is a chemiluminescent enzyme (CLIA) for simultaneous qualitative detection of antibodies to HIV 1 and 2. A negative result does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV 1 and 2. A positive result is not a diagnosis of AIDS. Supplemental testing such as immunoblot should be done for confirmation. Specimens containing mouse monoclonal antibodies or heterophile antibodies can give falsely elevated or depressed values.