Q. HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive 28 days after exposure. Should I repeat it later?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive in the tri-dot test after 28 days of exposure. Should I repeat the test again for confirmation?

#

• Tri-dot is a third generation test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).
  • HIV infection has a window period of one to three months during which these test results may be false negative. According to WHO (world health organization), all the test results are considered conclusive 12 weeks after the last exposure.
  • However, fourth generation HIV tests are considered to be accurate one month after the last exposure.
  • Hence, you can either repeat tri-dot after three months or go for a fourth generation combo test one month after the last exposure to confirm the result.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

HIV 1 RNA RT PCR is also negative 14 days after exposure. Is this conclusive? Please help.

#

• The test is almost 99 percent accurate by two weeks. However, as per WHO guidelines, we advise retesting after a baseline test.

For further queries consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|