Albumin

Please suggest ways to remove excess abdominal fluid in a colon cancer patient.

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt has colon cancer for the past three years. She has a tumor of 8 cm. As all other organs are not compromised, she stopped with the chemotherapy like one year ago. Now, she has peritoneal pseudomyxoma and ascites. In the hospital, the doctors say that the liquid in her abdominal c...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She can be given a trial of albumin and furosemide, which is diuretics, intravenously slowly in a monitored setting. They are afraid of the spread of the tumor further by putting needles through the peritoneum. Please, also try oral diuretics meanwhile. Both, Furosemid...  Read Full »

In how many days does the swelling due to nephrotic syndrome in a baby reduce?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter, 2.8 years old was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome. She had swelling in limbs, private part, stomach, and eyes. She also had slight cold during that time, but no running nose or cough. I have attached her reports. From the last one week, we started medicine, post which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can see clearly that your daughter’s condition is improving (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is the nephrotic syndrome of minimal change type as usually comes in the children. The reason behind less improvement in the private area and st...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

Should I worry for albumin in urine?

Query: Hi doctor, There is no specific complaint, but albumin is noticed in urine. Is it something to worry? I am currently on Liv 52.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, there is reason to worry. However, I would like to know the following information. What is your blood pressure? Do you have a history of diabetes or high blood pressure? Why was the test performed? Did you notice any symptoms? Kindly attach...  Read Full »

Can you give me any advise based on my lab reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 68-year-old male. I am currently on Gluformin G2 Forte for diabetes, Cinod-N 10/2.5 for BP and Olmezest 20. My lab report is from last week.HbA1c - 6.8.Uric acid - 7.41.Fructosamine - 299.7.eGFR - 83.APO B / APO A1 Ratio (APO B/A1) - 1.1.SGOT- 54.6.SGPT 59.9.Lipoprotein (A) LP...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudeb Mukherjee

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your HbA1c is in good control and the other parameters are within the normal range. ACR is slightly high. You need to recheck the albumin-creatinine ratio after three months. Please repeat your uric acid levels after two weeks. If it is still high, you may need...  Read Full »

My uric acid levels and albumin levels are high. Are my kidneys damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old male with a BMI of 26. During a recent health checkup of blood and urine, the following readings were observed. I have mentioned only the ones who have the higher readings. Protein 1+ detected in dipstick, serum uric acid at 9.2 mg/dL, MPV at 12.5 fL, FBS at 112 mg/...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The main problem is with the serum lipid profile which is HDL (high-density lipoprotein), LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), cholesterol, serum uric acid, urine albumin-creatinine ratio which ...  Read Full »

Will my kidney stone escalate my issues of high BP and diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male. I have a high blood pressure since five years and type 2 diabetes mellitus since two years. I had a master health checkup last week. My reports showed serum albumin at 3.2, total protein at 5.8, and globulin at 2.6. The urine analysis report and the X-ray an...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is clear that apart from serum protein and albumin, all other parameters look normal. However, even these values are not grossly abnormal. As you may be knowing, the liver is the site of productio...  Read Full »

What is the cause for increased albumin in blood?

Query: Hi doctor, My uncle has +3 albumin in his blood. He is not hypertensive and diabetic. What is the reason for the increase in albumin? What is the treatment? I have attached his reports.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have evaluated his report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his urine test shows the presence of RBC (red blood cells) and protein in his urine. This is serious and requires attention. The most common causes are diabetes and hypertension, so they ...  Read Full »

Is my albumin level low because of my current medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an SPEP test, liver function tests, and kidney tests done. All the reports were normal except my albumin level which was slightly below normal. Is this a concern? It is 34. Can it be caused by my current medications? I take oral contraceptives, spironolactone, Prozac, and antihis...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Albumin is synthesized in the liver and the presence of normal liver function tests clearly indicates that everything is normal. I would also like to clarify that the lower limit of albumin is 35 gram per liter and the pr...  Read Full »

My mother has multiple myeloma. How to find out the stage of her cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My 97 year old mother, who is in a nursing home, is more tired and feeling unwell. A blood test has shown she has likely got multiple myeloma. She had left-sided paralysis from a stroke six years ago. She cannot speak, and she is slow in understanding and writing, but she has no dementia...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother's condition. I have read all the test values that you have mentioned. From which, I can see that her total protein is high and albumin is low with elevated gamma globulin. Immunofixation electrophoresis is the best test to detect plasma ce...  Read Full »