Q. Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through the details posted.

• Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin.
  • Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which keep water inside the blood vessels.
  • Because of low oncotic pressure the fluid escapes out and forms ascites (abdominal swelling), pedal edema (lower leg swelling) and pleural effusion (fluid in the lungs). So, we keep them on a low dose diuretic to decrease the swelling.
  • The cause of cirrhosis if treated may help to stop liver damage and help in recovering function. So, the cause (etiology) has to be investigated.
  • The patient need to be on low salt diet, if there is both abdominal swelling and leg swelling, low serum sodium and water restriction.
  • With low sodium diet, water restriction and diuretics, the liver can become normal in size, but they should be compliant with therapy.
  • Coming to diet, cirrhosis patients should not eat animal protein as this can precipitate hepatic encephalopathy. But, they need protein for daily requirement. So, vegan sources like pulses or threptin biscuits are rich sources of vegan proteins that can be given to them.
  • Finally, in cirrhosis patients we have a scoring system called Child-Pugh score, which divides them into A, B and C categories to determine their future prognosis.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

What are the causes for headaches and swollen feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »

Kindly give your thoughts about pleural effusion with a mass in my lung.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full »