Q. Does lack of estrogen raise calcium level in urine?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

Five years ago, I had a hysterectomy for early stage node negative breast cancer. I am 49 years old. Currently, I am on Arimidex. My prognosis was 4% risk of recurrence. Since my surgery, my calcium levels are at 9.7 to 10.2 and albumin are 4.7-5.0. Four years ago, a routine CT scan showed two stones. I have them followed annually by ultrasound. This month, my doctor decided to do a 24-hour urine as the stone grew a little. I have attached the reports. My 24-hour urine was 452, which I understand is elevated. Is the level very high? Does lack of estrogen raise calcium in urine and affect urine results? I did have one lobe of my thyroid removed before 16 years for 4 mm papillary thyroid cancer. My PTH was checked three years before and it was 22.

#

I have seen the reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, your 24-hour urine result shows increased calcium. The normal level is up to 300, and yours is 452. As per my opinion, it is not severely raised. I will grade it as mild to moderate.
  • Regarding the raised calcium level, I think you should reconfirm it after 15 days because these values are highly variable and one high report does not necessarily mean it is raised. So, you need to confirm it again after 15 days with calcium restricted diet for two days (please consult your physician for advice).
  • There can be three reasons for hypercalciuria.
  1. Absorptive - your intestine is absorbing excess calcium.
  2. Renal - your kidney is losing more calcium.
  3. Resorptive - raised PTH (parathyroid hormone).
  • Basically, at this point, you need to reconfirm urine calcium levels and serum PTH levels as well because it was done before three years.
  • You need to remove present stones in the kidney and then you should avoid food which increases calcium in the urine. Your urologist might start you on the tablet after your stones get cleared.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to gain knowledge before I speak with my doctor tomorrow. Another concern is that due to my cancer history whether my blood work or urine alarming for bone metastasis? Am I correct in stating that my higher serum albumin causes a false higher serum calcium?

#

• As per your blood report, it does not look like any metastasis in bone.
  • An increase in serum albumin is not of much value in increasing serum or urine calcium. But, decrease serum albumin may cause false decrease serum calcium.

|